Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 Express 2500 OEM License plate/Door Handle with camera mount

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2018, 4:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lookin' good. And nice that you have the skills to modify. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted.

So, I installed my brake light cam last September, and in the last month or so, it has been getting a bit foggy. I'm thinking moisture may be getting in somehow. I gotta find time to fix that, but I'm working on my second summer cold. How'd that happen?
Old July 18th, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Stan hope you get to feeling better.....
I like the fact that you can see your hitch...
what about trying to take a pic of the monitor...
showing the vies you have of your hitch...
and since your not 100% happy with
the camera tell us more about the one you bought..
maybe a pic of the box it came in the brand
maybe what the box or instructions say about the type
or camera pixel or resolution ???? I sure am interested..
when you bought this one is there another brand out there
that is like this one?
Old August 2nd, 2018, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update no more colds for Stan :)

Hey Stan I also hope you are feeling improved and shaken your summer cold off by now.
The good news is that we are almost done with summer, so no more colds for you, at least it feels that way.

Yes, I'll post some pics of the screen with the views from both cameras. I'm not sure how well the pictures will show the difference but in real life it is quite apparent.
I'll also dig up the information on the camera rig properties. I have not had a chance to explore the different possibilities of why there is so much difference between the quality of pictures.

I have been working on my new trailer hitch, brake control and trailer connection wiring! whew~! that's been a chore but is going well so far.
I have also been running down some intermittent ac/vent/heater blower issues which I'll probably open a new thread for when I have a chance.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 3:54 PM
CF Veteran

I'm all better now. Thanks for asking.

I'm glad I don't have a trailer big enough that needs brakes. And I have my own A/C issues, glad I'm under warranty. But I have to remove the bed when I take it back next week. My rear condenser is bad.
Old January 17th, 2019, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Greetings all,
I hope everyone is having a good winter.
I have been busy with other upgrades to my van and haven't re-visited this issue for a while, besides I'm not really certain what to do
I installed a curt trailer hitch. I am really happy with it thus far. I also installed a tekonsha brake controller, which was an interesting experience.
I have been pulling a modest trailer and everything is working well.

As far as the cameras go, the upper brake light camera is still working great. I love seeing the trailer (its a low profile trailer) and traffic as I'm driving down the road.
The lower camera does show the hitch ball and it does work to help line things up when connecting. I am still not happy with the resolution and clarity.
I have included pictures of each view. Of course these are pictures taken of a low res screen with a cell phone and then posted to a website so I don't
know how well they translate.... in real life the lower camera image is blurry.

This is the view from the upper brake light camera.

This is the view from the lower license plate camera

Last edited by carguy5280; January 17th, 2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old January 18th, 2019, 8:09 AM
CF Veteran

I wonder if the lower cam took an impact and knocked the lens out of focus? Otherwise, lookin' good.

My brake cam quit altogether. I have a new one that I'm hoping will fit the lens, but I've been lazy. And now, there's snow out there.
Old January 18th, 2019, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

That is a possibility. It is one of those approximately one inch cube cameras so it should be possible to find a replacement. Although, I would have to rework the wiring most likely as each type of camera seems to have it's own unique way to connect. So far I have been lucky with my upper brake light camera. It works great! I think that there is probably a problem with quality control as other people have noted that their cameras (from the same manufacturer) have developed leaks over time or had other issues.

I might look into getting a replacement for the blurry camera but right now I'm having the same lazy, snowy issues as you, Stan!
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Teammuir1

With the factory camera, yes you can see the ball hitch. I don't have one installed and my camera is currently not working (the only thing not working, my fault) but from what I can recall - you can see the hitch.