Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2010 Express 3500 Passenger Paint peeling off

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2017, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have said before that it seems that white is the most likely colour to have this problem. Everyone should boycott all GM white vehicles......
The following users liked this post:
C6DNA (November 9th, 2019)
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow. I have a 2002 chevy e 3500 of course it's peeling like crazy. It looks so horrible and so embracing to drive it around!
Old May 17th, 2017, 3:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just gotten to the point that I buy a generic can of Rustoleum white spray paint and some light grey primer to "touch it up" every so often.

The excuses some of the GM people have given folks about this are laughable. It's damage control - nothing more. They know... but they get paid by the idiots who write them a check. They're not magically going to develop common sense or integrity and admit this is a problem. (GM quality control can be found in any septic tank.)

Fortunately - the older Sprinters are being turned over as they depreciate and by golly - in addition to better mileage and reliablity... the paint stays on.

Rattle can the flaking areas then sh*t can the van when it's time to trade up for something reliable.
Old February 24th, 2019, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default peeling paint on 2013 roadtrek built on chevy express van

Side where masking tape took off paint.
I have a 2013 Roadtrek RV that is built on a Chevy express van, white in color. My paint started peeling.i took it to a Chevy dealer to show them the paint and was told like so many others that a rock caused the damage. Not possible where the damage occurred. The dealer called out the body shop people and the first thing out of his mouth was “ah, Chevy white, that happens to a lot of chevys.” Even his own truck had this damage. I think Chevy tells there dealers to say it is caused by rocks hitting the vehicles. Anyway they wouldn’t help and wouldn’t even respond to a negotiator that was from Chevy. We took it to a place to have the peel areas repainted. They painted the drivers side except the front door. When they went to take off the masking tape they had put on the door, it peeled off a whole section of paint. I don’t think masking tape should be able to peel off paint. They called us and since we discovered that some paint on the other side was starting to peel, we decided to have the whole vehicle repainted at a cost of $6,000. They took it all the way down to the metal since they weren’t comfortable even leaving the primer on because they warranty their paint job for the life of the vehicle (not like Chevy). I will never ever purchase a Chevy in my lifetime and will make sure no one that I know purchases one. I wish there was a class action suit against them, I would so join it. Oh and the body shop ended removing the paint they had already had done because they didn’t trust that the primer would not cause peeling down the road.

Last edited by uneakone; February 24th, 2019 at 10:03 AM. Reason: adding a photo of the area where the paint peeled off from masking tape.
Old February 24th, 2019, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

People should boycott Chevy, GM period. They should be taking care of all their customers not just the ones with white vehicles.
Old February 24th, 2019, 7:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehead
What is it with white vans?
The white paint on our 1994 GMC Suburban flaked off from the primer as well, primarily on the tailgate. It became so bad that I ended up sanding the entire tailgate and spraying it from aerosol cans.

Fortunately, our 2005 GMC Yukon has not experienced such paint peeling with its white.

We also have a white 1998 Frontier, and about 2 years ago its paint started peeling. However, Frontiers with Electric Blue in mid-1970s were tons worse. And Nissan also sticks its head in the dirt and won't claim any responsibility.

Old March 13th, 2019, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Do you guys know what years were affected by this issue? I am looking to buy a 2013 GMC Savana in white and want to know if I should avoid the color in general or if there is a cut off when this was addressed at the factory?

Thanks
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Peeling paint

Mine was a 2013. When the guy can out to look at it, first words out of his mouth were “ah, Chevy white” . It’s up to you but I would get a different color that is unless you have about $6000 to have it repainted down the road. But then again you might get one that doesn’t peel.
Old March 13th, 2019, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by uneakone

Mine was a 2013. When the guy can out to look at it, first words out of his mouth were “ah, Chevy white” . It’s up to you but I would get a different color that is unless you have about $6000 to have it repainted down the road. But then again you might get one that doesn’t peel.
When did your paint start to peel? Was it right when you bought the vehicle in 2013 or recently?
Old March 13th, 2019, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jmvar
When did your paint start to peel? Was it right when you bought the vehicle in 2013 or recently?
we don’t know exactly when it started to peel but I think towards the end of last year. The picture I added early is what happened when they removed the painters tape after they had painted the drivers back panel and front fender. I don’t think that painters tape should be taking off the paint like that. I ended up having hem remove all the paint and primer Dow to the metal. They even went back and removed the paint that they had put on because they didn’t even trust the Chevy’s primer. All said and done, I will never, ever buy a Chevy or GM vehicle again because they said all the paint problems were caused by a rock hitting it. That seems the go to answer they give people with this problem.

Quick Reply: 2010 Express 3500 Passenger Paint peeling off