Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2014 Express low beams

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2016, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Express low beams

I recently had to boost my van and now I have no low beams. Bulbs are fine, fuses are fine, getting no power at the bulb socket. Fuse cover lists a low beam relay on the circuit board so that is my next guess. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Dan
Old December 14th, 2016, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

So after talking to two different dealership parts guys it appears that the low beam relay doesn't really exist. At least not as a replaceable part. They both said that the circuit board relays listed on the fuse box cover are integral to the fuse block and the whole thing would have to be replaced if that was indeed the problem. So, instead I ordered the hi-lo beam switch and I'll start there.

Dan
Old December 14th, 2016, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the diagram I have, there is a low beam relay in the under hood fuse box, as well as 2 low beam fuses left and right, and 2 day time running light fuses 1 and 2.

What set up do you have. Single light or the dual ones?

Last edited by canucklehead; December 15th, 2016 at 12:49 AM.
Old December 15th, 2016, 5:38 AM
CF Beginner

Dual setup. The drl fuses and the low beam left and right fuses are fine.The fuse box cover lists a low beam relay on the circuit board but all the relays on the circuit board are also listed as not shown. I even removed the fuse block to have a look underneath and nothing there either. the parts guys said the relays are built in and not replaceable. Sounds weird but if that is true, I think I'm left with a switch replacement. the wires I have traced are all fine as well.
Old December 16th, 2016, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

So..... not the switch I guess. Replaced it last night and ta daaa...no low beams still. More hunting I guess
Old December 16th, 2016, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

So, after spending another 2 hours tracing wires and checking fuses and looking for the mythical low beam relay, I decide to test the bulbs one more time. Still good. Screw it, I have new bulbs I'll just put them in in case my tester is pooched. Voila, low beam lights. Turns out I had been testing the high beam circuit instead of the low beam circuit all along. Strangely enough, the high beam circuit is pretty dead when the low beams are switched on.
I swear, I should just sell all my tools and save myself some grief, and money.
For those that were paying attention, sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Dan
Old December 17th, 2016, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all learn from doing things good news you sorted it out.
Old December 17th, 2016, 4:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by solwav
We all learn from doing things good news you sorted it out.
OK you jumped the battery, is that what you meant when you said boosted? So after that, the low beams would not work? What actually broke and how did you fix it?
Old December 17th, 2016, 5:46 PM
CF Beginner

Yup. the van was outside at minus 35 for a couple of days and I had forgotten to unplug the dashcam. Battery was stone dead. Boosted it and must have blown both the low beam bulbs at the same time. Wasted my time checking the wrong circuit and then replaced the low beam bulbs.
I may be an idiot, but the lights work now.

Dan
Old December 18th, 2016, 5:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dan Y
Yup. the van was outside at minus 35 for a couple of days and I had forgotten to unplug the dashcam. Battery was stone dead. Boosted it and must have blown both the low beam bulbs at the same time. Wasted my time checking the wrong circuit and then replaced the low beam bulbs.
I may be an idiot, but the lights work now.

Dan
Thanks for the info, glad you got it fixed, and we don't think your an idiot, that's for sure. Have a good day.