Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2015 Chevy Express Extended 2LS Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2018, 8:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I don't know what all that means. Really not looking for a rig to rock climb, just want something safe, reliable, and versatile to tow my 30' Airstream full-time with my family. I do agree the composite headlights look better than the sealed beams. Right now I am looking for powered towing mirrors that won't break the bank (Valvac).
Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

G80 is the limited slip differential, and to tell if you have it, look for "G80" on a sticker on the passenger door.

But I think your 4WD shop will not let it go without upgrading it. Cause, who wants 3WD?
Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

90% of "4WD" vehicles out there are what you call 3WD. They rarely come with locking front axles from the factory. And as haznavy puts it, unless you're rock crawling, it's good enough.
Old October 4th, 2018, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
> Even with the 4wd conversion you are still a one tire fire if you don't have the g80 axle
Where did you get that idea? If one wheel doesn't have traction, you still have another axle. That's what 4WD is for.

>I would not take a g80 off road. Its an around town limited slip
I took my AWD with G80 offroad a couple of weekends ago, and it worked marvelously. I was quite pleased. Didn't skip a beat, even with two wheels in the air.
What I meant is that you are not in 4wd all the time. So unless you put it in 4wd. The first time you slip in 2wd its one wheel if you dont have a locker. I am used to my awd van so it engages automatically and I never need to stop and shift to 4wd.
The comment about the g80 is just from reading about them failing during rough use as they are not as durable as an aftermarket. The little teeth on the part that catches broke off on mine on my 2002. Luckily they ended up on the magnet.
Old October 5th, 2018, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

>So unless you put it in 4wd. The first time you slip in 2wd its one wheel
Duh.

>The comment about the g80 is just from reading about them.
I've owned two. No failures. Plenty of offroad. No, it's not an ARB, and if you don't treat it like one then it's fine.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 5th, 2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old October 5th, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
>So unless you put it in 4wd. The first time you slip in 2wd its one wheel
Duh.

>The comment about the g80 is just from reading about them.
I've owned two. No failures. Plenty of offroad. No, it's not an ARB, and if you don't treat it like one then it's fine.
Duh? Really?
I think that you are forgetting why we are all here.
I post to help people any way I can. As I am sure others do.
When I come to this site its to read the original post and help. Not troll other posts for things I can call people out on.
If you are quoting other posters and calling on them to defend their comments then you are not helping the original poster.
If you see a post that is clearly wrong sure point it out, but being rude is out of line.
I don't have to explain my posts to you. The original poster thanked us all for our input. Job done!
Move on.
Old October 5th, 2018, 9:00 PM
Super Moderator

I think the original poster can speak for himself.

He said he didn't understand what we meant, and that he didn't care. Then you came back defend your false advice. Is that how you "move on"?
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Advising to get a locker if he does not have one, and not to rely on the 4x4 conversion to have one is false is it?
Again the trolling. I'm out. You take over since you know best.
Old October 6th, 2018, 5:48 PM
Super Moderator

4x4 is far more useful than a locking differential. He won't get "one tire fire" unless he's in really deep s**t. That is my experience, but I stand to be corrected.

Chill man. Not everybody with a different ideas from you is a troll.
Old October 7th, 2018, 9:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd consider having advance go with 4.10 gears rather than 3.73...it will buy you some margin if you ever decide to go with a lift and larger tires...even without larger tires the deeper gear will help with acceleration. Get on DieselPlace in the van section and ask about tuners, find a good one in your area, you can make major power gains just with the tuning. You can follow the link in my signature to get to dieselplace.
IRT lockers/limited slip diff's, if you have the funds, nothing compares to ARBs...nothing. If you don't want to spend the money for that then Eaton Truetracs are excellent limited slip differentials.

Last edited by LCAC_Man; October 7th, 2018 at 9:58 AM.