Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2015 Chevy Express LS3500 8k miles stalled / engine dead

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2018, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Chevy Express LS3500 8k miles stalled / engine dead

2015 Chevy Express LS3500 was purchased at 6k miles. Drove it for 2k miles. The other day, the van stopped out of nowhere. As I was driving down a side street around 25-30 mph the van stalled and the engine completely went dead. All electricity stayed on but the engine just went completely silent. No noise or sputtering, just dead.

The Key when put into the ignition gets the electricity going, dashboard lights come on, horn works fine, headlights go on. I checked the battery connections and charged it up just in case but it didn't help.

There is No Crank whatsoever when I turn the key. The fuse box in the front in the engine compartment makes a ticking sound as you turn the key.

I called the dealership where I purchased the car from. They are taking a look at it. The guy mention it may possibly be the key we had made at the hardware store that messed up the module. But I rechecked with the hardware store against how the dealership specified the key should be made and everything seemed like it was done right. Also remember I was driving the car for 2k miles with no issues whatsoever when this suddenly happened.

I can't find a recall or anything on this year chevy express and the dealership still can't find an answer for me so I am turning to you guys hoping you can provide some ideas or info. If you need any more information, please feel free to ask as I eagerly await your replies.
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How can a hardware store cut an ignition key for a passlock system? You have to get your keys made and programmed at the dealer......
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Even if a hardware store could make a key, it did work for 2k miles. I don't pretend to know specifically about passlock, but as far as general electronics go, it either works or it doesn't. There is no gray area.
Old February 6th, 2018, 11:44 AM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a very rare occurrence it seems, as those vans are extremely reliable in all aspects. The key is not a problem, as it won't have stalled while driving. It would have not started in the first place. Although there is not enough information given for any real advice to be given, I'm sure the shop will be able to figure it out. Please update the thread when the problem is resolved.
Old February 6th, 2018, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Is your vehicle included in the recall? GM recalled 30 millions vehicles (after trying to cover it up) for a defective ignition issue that killed 124 people.