Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2017/2018 Express driver’s side curtain airbag

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2018, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank all you guys for your help with my future project... Although it can get daunting at times I'm sure my project will be a success!

I will have to look into the seat height adjustment... I was driving these vans around for several years for a maintenance job I once had ( I left in 2013 and these work vans were not old, some were new, some were 1-3 years old) and I don't remember the air bag annoying me like it does now. The vans did not have power seats so It is leaving me a little confused. I've been know to have a big head sometimes so maybe that's it. HA!

FYI.. I am liking the Silver Ice color... It gets damn hot here in Texas during the Summer so I want a lighter color but probably not white.

I am aware of the paint issue but I did not realize that it may be all or just some of the colors... Regardless GM has had these paint issues since at least the late 1970's... perhaps there sporadic or maybe not but I do remember a friend with a really sweet 1977 or 1978 Olds cutlass with the same issue between the trunk lid and rear window.

Anyhow, I got to run.

Cheers and May the Force be with you!
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I gotta say, I haven't seen a newer model GM with paint issues. And white or silver, either will do. Mine is white, and Da Wife has a silver Equinox. But one thing I did reduces the heat a bit more. I got a dash carpet, and despite it being black, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the vinyl dash.
Old April 20th, 2018, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

I will keep that in mind, after all it's all about keeping it cool in the south...

I've been researched some on YouTube and found that Home Depot sells a heat reflective paint that some folks say works pretty well for the roof of RV's... It is simply named after a mans first name "Harvey's or Hanks (or a other similar sounding mans first name) Heat Reflective Paint."but I'm not positive that I would want to use it on my van.
Old April 20th, 2018, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Here's an idea I'm thinking about;

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/l...urce=lanmodo#/
Old April 21st, 2018, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Well Stan you have the jump on me... I’m foaming at the mouth as I write…

Pending on how things move forward I may finish some of the interior parts on my own and save some $ vs. having it done by SM; but there finished interiors/projects are just too nice! Fit, finish and detail. JUST REMEMBER… “There’s never enough time to do it right the first time but there’s always enough time to do it right the second time.” I am lucky to be located near their shop and I have been admiring all the In-progress and finished examples. Hmmmm... What to do……?

It was recently suggested to me from a GM sales person that some of the aftermarket stuff such as back up camera monitors may be better than factory equipment!

One of the options that I thought I really wanted and absolutely could not live without is a retractable awning… It sounds like a great Idea! (and I don’t want to be negative) but from what I have been reading on various RV threads is that they do not do well in windy areas such as Texas. I’m finding that they just get ruined with strong winds, especially along the coast and would probably just be a wasted expense for me.

I think the rain guards on the windows would be a must! I don't have them on my current vehicle but I have had them on previous ones; It’s really nice to have the windows open a bit without rain pouring in. I like music but I probably won't need anything beyond stock unless I upgrade my back up camera and rout it to an updated info-tainment system.

“Le Moose, Mickey Le Moose” sounds larger than life, appropriate, noble and family friendly..! However, I was thinking of something a little more gritty and blue collar... along the line of "Ragnar's Axe" for my build… Call it hard lessons learned but, It just seems to fit my own situation.
Old April 21st, 2018, 8:08 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not gonna jump. But I'm here for ya. Sounds like that GM sales dude is more truthful than the stereotypical car salesman. And I don't know how handy you are, but some of the things I did were easy. Rain guards were the easiest. I got Weathertech's, and they were on about 10 minutes after the UPS guy drove off. No tools needed. I just checked my spreadsheet, and last summer they were $59.95 +s&h. A stereo is a little more intense, but only because the dash panel is a PITA to get off.(And my first occupation was an installer, $%^ years ago). And that is also why I went with a small system, but with a subwoofer. And a multimedia screen is needed for the backup cam. So, it may be best if you had that done. I'm guessing you saw my backup cam. It's great, and I'm pushing for one in Da Wife's next vehicle.

Seems to me that an awning would be okay, as long as you kept up with the weather. Too many people are careless about stuff like that, and like to lay blame elsewhere (like the product!). It's not like they are coming off the van on the highway (or are they?).

Oh, and if we're gonna continue this, I'm gonna need to know a first name. My guess, from your screen name is Michael? Mitch?