Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2017/2018 Express driver’s side curtain airbag

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2018, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017/2018 Express driver’s side curtain airbag

If all goes well I am planning on purchasing an Express G3500 extended wheel base Cargo Van NOT Passenger Van and have the conversion outfitter “Sportsmobile” convert it into a camper van with the pop-up top. I got some great ideas for this and I’m really stoked…TOO COOL!

I have recently test drove a couple of new 2017/2018 models and I discovered an issue. I generally believe that safety air bags are a good idea however…

I DO NOT like the driver’s side curtain airbag that is positioned right next to the drivers head on the new 2017/2018 models. I’m 6’ tall and as I sit in the driver’s seat and move my head even just so slightly to the left my head hits the bottom of the headliner/roof.

In my opinion this is a really dumb design… The driver’s side curtain airbag takes up too much head room. This not only restricts driver movement resulting in less comfort but also negativity affects the ergonomics of egress and ingress of the van. This is a fine example of poor design… So annoying..! Ruins an other-wise perfect van. It seems that instead of designing an airbag that would fit the space as needed GM just re-purposed an existing system to work in the van.

I would much rather have the abundant head spaces of the earlier models in the same body design beginning in 2003 and ending in “?”.

I did think about just removing the driver’s side curtain airbag and installing an earlier model head liner and call it all good but that would just present unforeseen problems involving: Vehicle Warranty, State Inspections/car insurance, etc and I don’t want to deal with any of those potential issues either…

That aside, I believe the 6speed automatic transmission/w the 6.0L is a desirable combination.

So: I’m inclined to consider a very good, low mileage, used Express G3500 extended wheel base Cargo Van if, I could find one…

Does anyone know if the Express G3500 Cargo Van NOT Passenger Van may have been produced (which model years) with the 6speed automatic transmission WITH-OUT the driver’s side curtain airbag? Or is it the case that both the driver’s side curtain airbag and the 6speed automatic transmission were introduced in the same model year?

AND/OR is there someone in the Forum Community that could help me break down the following information?

· What year did Chevrolet start using the driver’s side curtain airbag in the Express G3500 Cargo van NOT Passenger Van?

· What year did Chevrolet start using the 6speed automatic transmission in the Express G3500 Cargo van NOT Passenger Van?

Thank you.
Old April 18th, 2018, 4:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I can find on the internet, it seems to start in '08, and become standard equipment in '10.

Truthfully, I never noticed it being in the way, and I'm just over 6' tall. I read your post, and had to go look at mine because I hadn't noticed it sticking out any further than my old Astro. But you're right, it is bigger. Noticing you're in Texas, I'd suggest taking your cowboy hat off before you enter the van

I will say, I love my 6.0/6 speed combo. But if you're going to tow a trailer, or go off-road, look for the "G80" RPO code (sticker on passenger door, listing of options). That code is for the limited slip differential. Without it you only have one wheel drive. Although, if you're going all out Sportsmobile, you'll probably get 4WD.

Good luck, and please come back and let us know/see what you end up with.
Old April 18th, 2018, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info Stan... Actually I'm planning a 2wd version of the Sportsmobile... I plan on travel but I'm keeping it on the road. As far as options I started a build sheet with a dealer but paused after I noticed the air bag issue... The limited slip is on my list of options.
Old April 18th, 2018, 5:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd hate to see this airbag thing keep you from an otherwise good van.
Old April 18th, 2018, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
I'd hate to see this airbag thing keep you from an otherwise good van.

It will happen..! I'm just exercising the "6 P's"... Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance... It's notably better than asking the 5 Y's of Root Cause and Corrective Action methodology..!
Old April 18th, 2018, 9:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Just google "GM commercial brochure". Those are a good source of information.
So is gmauthority.com
Old April 18th, 2018, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like I am about the same height as Stan, and I never hit mine either. Maybe because I have the power drivers seat, that allows more adjustment. Non power seats are like a kids high chair.
Please dont get a white van.....I hate seeing these nice new vans with the paint falling off.
Old April 18th, 2018, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Is white paint less durable?
Old April 19th, 2018, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Almost every van or truck I see with failing paint is white. Other colours seem to be fine. There is loads of post online about angry owners and lawsuits etc.....
Old April 19th, 2018, 7:18 PM
Super Moderator

That's an old issue isn't it? I haven't seen any recent model do that.