Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

2nd Battery under Driver Seat?

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2019, 8:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

I've used a battery inside the cabin for years, and so have other people I know. Most batteries are sealed, and even then the amount of hydrogen gas is miniscule and disperses quickly. (especially a small one like that). It's fine. If I had a bank of a dozen batteries then yeah you would have to address it. I have never seen or heard of a battery boiling over, but it was a in a purpose made battery box if it did. I think you would have to do something pretty extreme like put a wrench across the terminals or plug it into a wall socket.
Old April 4th, 2019, 10:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You are probably right. My concious tells me to do otherwise however. Battery corrosion and interiors doesn't seem like a good mix.

PS. I half installed my radio if you are ever interested in checking it out. I already want to upgrade it to something more complicated, which was really always the plan, this was only a stop gap measure. I might sell it. I don't I just.. have these plans I want to follow through with, but reality keeps telling me to park those plans and accept that good enough is far more than good enough. I have great sound and a ton of features. Not everything I could ever want, but probably everything I could ever actually need.

Last edited by dberladyn; April 4th, 2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old April 5th, 2019, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My point was about the vapour from the battery right under the driver. Even if it was a sealed battery I would not want it there. The battery in the rear of our hhr and my cruze are far from the driver and under the floor mat by the spare tire.
As for boiling over, you wouldnt see it, it happens while being charged while driving if the battery is faulty or old. If you see a clean spot on the black plastic on the top of your battery, then it is likely losing fluid while being charged.
The last time I had one like that load tested, they took the battery and put it in a case and hooked it up.... a few minutes later it was foaming at the mouth.
You can get reloaction kits for moving a battery to the trunk....but under the seat is too close in my opinion.
Old April 5th, 2019, 12:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello everybody,
Thank you for the numerous answers.
It is a GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE from 11/2006, not the pink one in the photo.
The battery does not exhaust, it is a gel battery. It can therefore be installed without ventilation in the interior.
Unfortunately, I can not attach the battery to the frame as this is not allowed in Germany (here I live).
Greetings
Pony
Old April 5th, 2019, 1:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by canucklehead
it happens while being charged while driving if the battery is faulty or old.
No. Charging would only warm it up not boil it. Plus these modern vans have smart charging systems, so overcharging is a thing of the past.

When you get a battery load tested, they always crank it right up so they can sell you a new one. A battery would never experience that kind of load unless you're cranking it for 5 minutes or something. Charging current is nowhere near load current so you can't compare the two.

Anyway he wants to put in an aux battery. Not a primary starting one. I used to beat the heck out of my aux battery. I'd suck over a 100A out of it for extended periods and never had a problem.

I would still put it in battery box to protect it though.

Old April 10th, 2019, 12:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have experienced a battery boiling over in a modern car, so it can happen. The regulator in the alternator went bad. This caused my battery to blow the top of a sealed battery and spit battery fluid all over the engine compartment.
Old April 14th, 2019, 12:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Well, I ordered my second auxillary battery mount, so once that comes I am ready for batteries. I am thinking yellow top Optima's but maybe it doesn't matter. I could get cheaper deep cycles on Craigslist used that will probably be good enough. I can get new yellowtop's cheap, but for even cheaper I could probably buy a lot of different options. Any advice?

These will be segregated unless the ignition is on. Likely I will trigger it via the RAP but I have not decided yet.
Old April 14th, 2019, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Don't get the yellow tops. The company was sold off and now they are overpriced garbage.

Just get a reputable brand of deep cycle from a dealer (I can recommend a place near you). Since you're mounting them to your frame, you don't need to pay 2x or 3x more for an AGM. Flooded is fine.
Old April 14th, 2019, 7:33 AM
CF Pro Member

Sounds right to me. They were always good batteries when I bought them in the past for vehicles, lasted longer than vehicles, but I trust that's a good opinion. I can get them for $150 supposedly new each, but on CL I could get used something-rathers for $40-50 each. Mind you I want something strong and stable. Deep Cycle. Point away. There's always Princess Auto or Wall Mart. At the end of the day, they are just batteries.

You might disagree, but the important thing to me was buying a matching set, as close to manufacturing times as possible.
Old April 14th, 2019, 9:20 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Don't get the yellow tops. The company was sold off and now they are overpriced garbage.

Just get a reputable brand of deep cycle from a dealer (I can recommend a place near you). Since you're mounting them to your frame, you don't need to pay 2x or 3x more for an AGM. Flooded is fine.
when were they sold off? im kind of upset about this but truth be told when you have a red top in one of your trucks from 2005 that i got used, its kind hard not to believe.