Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

87 Chevy G20 - Stereo Replacement help

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2018, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Chevy G20 - Stereo Replacement help

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased an '87 Chevy G20. It's my first van and I'm excited to make some changes inside and out. The first item on the list to change is the old factory stereo. It's decent, it's vintage, it works but it doesn't have Bluetooth. This will be my second time replacing a stereo. The first time was in my daughter's 2001 Ford Focus. It was pretty easy and it didn't take long. Replacing the stereo in my G20 looks time-consuming and the wiring might be complicated.

I have searched far and wide in the forum for instructions on how to replace a stereo for my G20 with no luck. If anyone has a link to instructions you can share, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance!
Old July 17th, 2018, 6:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This should be up STAN VAN's ... alley... Welcome to the Forum... you should post a pic of your Van...
Old July 17th, 2018, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Except that it's been way too long since I've been near an '87 van, even with pictures on the internet, I can't remember if it comes straight out, or remove the doghouse and drop it out from underneath. I do remember if it has an old style radio ( large ***** on each side) it comes out underneath. Somewhere in that time frame they transitioned to a DIN style. Here's what I suggest; Crutchfield has a decent application chart, and okay installation database. They will know what fits, and how to do it. Even if you need an old style radio, Bluetooth is available. I'd also suggest new speakers. There can't be much left of 30 year old speakers.

That's the best I can do for you, unless you're in the Northern Virginia area. And even if you are, it can't be this week. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old July 17th, 2018, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums...pse53482cd.jpg

This is prob what you have. Comes out from underneath. Cut to a rectangle hole to fit a singe din stereo. Way cheaper than buying a vintage aftermarket one.
Old July 18th, 2018, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Here she is. 1987 Chevy G20, 5.7L V8 with only 78k

Last edited by ajaani12; July 18th, 2018 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Adding caption
Old July 18th, 2018, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, Stan. I'll check out Crutchfield. I'll keep you guys posted with pictures while I do this. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old July 18th, 2018, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums...pse53482cd.jpg

This is prob what you have. Comes out from underneath. Cut to a rectangle hole to fit a singe din stereo. Way cheaper than buying a vintage aftermarket one.
Yes! That is what I have. I had a feeling I would need to do some cutting. Since it takes a forward motion to use the radio, I was thinking of creating a box that extends the radio out so I can access it. It will be a single din stereo. I'll definitely post pictures of my journey.

Thank you!
Old July 18th, 2018, 1:38 PM
CF Veteran

78K?? Sweet!
Old July 18th, 2018, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by StanVan
78K?? Sweet!
Yeah! I got really lucky. The guy I bought it from really didn't know much about it because he only owned it for a few months. He said he had a change in his health, diabetes. So he had to sell. I'm really looking forward to making some changes to her. The plan is converting it into a camper. Doing a total demo inside. I'll post my build once I start.
Old July 18th, 2018, 4:07 PM
CF Veteran

Wait, what? You can't have a van if you got diabetes? Guess I gotta sell mine. Who knew?