Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

92 vandura 5.7 litre hiccups & lurches

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2016, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 vandura 5.7 litre hiccups & lurches

At around 30-40 mph the engine wants to kinda jerk/hiccup/lurch until I give it more gas. Runs great at idle and highway speeds. Not the transmission cuz I can make it sputter in park at around the same rpm until I rev it more. Mechanic buddy thinks map sensor or vacuum leak........thoughts?
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could also be a bad injector dribbling gas instead of spraying it.....You could watch and see, and swap injectors if necc.
Old August 6th, 2016, 4:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Could also be a bad injector dribbling gas instead of spraying it.....You could watch and see, and swap injectors if necc.
Thanks, will check that too!
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check your fuel pressure. At 30-40 mph you are not turning very high rpms. At highway speed your engine is turning faster and is actually creating a suction to help draw fuel in. I had similar problems with my 88 and 89 Caprices. Both were fixed with a new fuel pump. Each had about 125,000 miles when the fuel pump went.
Old August 12th, 2016, 8:24 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SBchevyfan
I would check your fuel pressure. At 30-40 mph you are not turning very high rpms. At highway speed your engine is turning faster and is actually creating a suction to help draw fuel in. I had similar problems with my 88 and 89 Caprices. Both were fixed with a new fuel pump. Each had about 125,000 miles when the fuel pump went.
Duly noted.....the engine idles with no problem however. When I had a pump go in a 79 - 3/4 ton it would starve at high speeds. All suggestions welcomed and it's going in next week. I'll post our findings.
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Mechanic found a rusted out pick up plate under the distributor. Apparently quite common so we changed that. Symptoms still persisted. Unhooked the vacuum line to the EGR valve, plugged it and ran great. He recommended leaving it that way but "service engine" light came on. I installed a new EGR valve and so far so good. Hope others check this fix first.