Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

95 G20 Van no shift & no speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 G20 Van no shift & no speedometer?

We have a 1995 Chvy G20 conversion van that has been sitting unused for 12-18 months. When we parked it the alternator was out, it would run and drive fine but it just wouldn't charge the battery. We got the engine running Ok with a fully charged battery and was pulling it into the shop to repair the alternator. Now the problem, It appears to only operate in first or first and second gear, it won't go into drive. also the speedometer does not work and the ABS light is on part of the time. We have the Chiltons manual and have done some testing prior to now. The VSS sensor on the transmission tailshaft measures 1150 Ohms in a "cool" 60F shop. I try to get the codes counting the flashes and get both 36 and 36. I have disconnected the battery and done this several times. Myself and my mechanic buddy suspect the proble is in the VSS Buffer or DRAC or the wiring going from the buffer to the VSS. I will also add that the brake lights do work so I'm fairly convinced we don't have a fuse issue. I'm fairly confident that it's no an internal mechanical problem as it worked fine last time it was parked. Also no sighns of mouse damage to the wiring! Main thing I'd like to know at this point is, where is the Buffer located? Any and all responses appreciated! Jim
The following users liked this post:
Kandley Coxwell (December 14th, 2019)
Old March 6th, 2011, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

We found our problem! While we were removing/installing batteries we knocked a connector lose/off between the battery and the firewall. It turns ot that connector was between the vss and the VSS buffer. Plugged the connector back together and our problem was fixed! Made my Day!
Old March 6th, 2011, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

All better now!
Old May 4th, 2015, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 chevy g20 van no speedometer and no shift

JimNutsch Thank you so much for your post. I had the exact same problem with my 1994 chevy g20 van. No 3rd gear, no speedometer, and the abs brake light was on. I had just removed a dead battery and replaced it with a new one. It is a tight squeeze getting the battery in and out and I must have hit the connector you talked about between the battery and the firewall. I reconnected it and IT WORKED!!! Again, THANK YOU. :-)

Last edited by mistermusic140; May 4th, 2015 at 3:32 PM.