Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'97 5.7L 3500 Engine shake, loss of power, rough idle

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2012, 7:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 5.7L 3500 Engine shake, loss of power, rough idle

Occasionally my van (while in drive) will idle very roughly. Then when I put my foot on the gas it barely moves, and seems really bothered to do so. During this time it runs very rough. It almost acts like it's starved for fuel? This only happens sometimes though. What's weird is that I can turn it off, then start it again and it runs just fine - leads me to believe that it's maybe an electrical/sensor issue? If I had a pressure gauge I'd check the fuel pressure - I'm hoping it's maybe just the fuel filter? But I know that's a long shot.

What I do know: it needs a couple O2 sensors. There's no check engine light, but I had a shop check it out anyway and they said those were the codes it was throwing. A/C is out - pretty large leak somewhere. It has (1?) new catalytic converter - maybe the other one's plugged or the new one is plugged again? Could the O2 sensors be causing this?

I just bought it pretty recently (before the 800 mile road trip I just took pulling a trailer). During the road trip it seemed like it was lacking in power a little bit, especially up hills, but I didn't think much of it. Before I took it on the trip I replaced oil, trans fluid and filter, serpentine belt, water pump, and thermostat. Spark plugs have been done recently (not sure about wires).

I'd appreciate any thoughts you guys might have!
Old August 7th, 2012, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone??