Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

97 G2500 Express Van rear drum removal

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 G2500 Express Van rear drum removal

anyone have any experience on removing the rear drum on a 1997 Express 2500 <NOBR style="COLOR: darkgreen; FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-WEIGHT: normal" id=itxt_nobr_4_0>van</NOBR>?
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls --> <!-- / controls -->
<!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- post 116085 popup menu --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=thead itxtvisited="1">offroadinjersey</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=vbmenu_option itxtvisited="1">View Public Profile</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=vbmenu_option itxtvisited="1">Send a private message to offroadinjersey</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=vbmenu_option itxtvisited="1">Find all posts by offroadinjersey</TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=vbmenu_option itxtvisited="1">Add offroadinjersey to Your Contacts</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- / post 116085 popup menu --><!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit --><!-- / post #116085 --><!-- END TEMPLATE: postbit_wrapper -->
<!-- start content table --><!-- / start content table --><!-- controls below postbits --><TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: -3px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=smallfont itxtvisited="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Professional Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have to go to the back side of the backing plate and remove the plug. Then you need to stick a screwdriver in the back of it and turn the adjuster to pull the brake shoes back enough to pull the drum over them. If it is still locked on there after you adjust the shoes all the way in you will then need to smack the drum around the axle with a good sized hammer. I usually put the lugs back on so I don't mess the threads up when I start wacking the drum.
Good luck with a 97 I hope you are somewhere with little rust!