Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   99 express 1500 won't start- Help!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/99-express-1500-wont-start-help-35754/)

darrenbrigman September 5th, 2010 8:11 PM

99 express 1500 won't start- Help!!

Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of a problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 1999 chevy 1500 van with the 4.3L V6 engine. It has been running fine, but I drove it home last night and switched it off. Got up this morning and tried to crank it, and the motor turns, but won't run. I have 58 lbs of fuel pressure on the rail, but I have no spark at all. I have checked all fuses, and even removed the ignition module and took it to autozone and had it tested. It passed as good. I was told that it was probably a crank sensor or a hall effect sensor inside the distributor. I do have an OBDII scan tool, and attempted to plug it in to check codes. For whatever reason, the scanner fails to link to the van. I retry, and it sits there trying for several seconds and comes back with the same "cannot link" message. When testing for spark, I was checking directly from the coil, and not from a plug wire. My question is, what next?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Darren

garyhilyer September 19th, 2010 3:25 PM

I'm having the same problem with 97 model.All Fuses are good, fuel pump doesn't run for 2 seconds when switch is on and not firing. Powered fuel pump relay and of course won't run due to no spark. Getting voltage to coil but no ground.

hfl67 October 4th, 2010 7:35 AM

Sorry- had this problem recently too and fixed it. Just to clarify: you take the coil wire off of the distributor and ground it out and attempt to start and you get no spark?

RacerX October 17th, 2010 8:30 PM

Your ECM is out of order. Thats why you get no spark AND you cannot get a code with your scan tool. No ECM signal no nothing.

Darren and Gary same problem, no signal from ECM, the ECM is the ground for the fuel circuit and spark control.

Trev Stone October 23rd, 2018 5:36 PM

Hellllllppppppppp!!!!!

Originally Posted by darrenbrigman (Post 156339)
Hey guys, I'm having a little bit of a problem and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 1999 chevy 1500 van with the 4.3L V6 engine. It has been running fine, but I drove it home last night and switched it off. Got up this morning and tried to crank it, and the motor turns, but won't run. I have 58 lbs of fuel pressure on the rail, but I have no spark at all. I have checked all fuses, and even removed the ignition module and took it to autozone and had it tested. It passed as good. I was told that it was probably a crank sensor or a hall effect sensor inside the distributor. I do have an OBDII scan tool, and attempted to plug it in to check codes. For whatever reason, the scanner fails to link to the van. I retry, and it sits there trying for several seconds and comes back with the same "cannot link" message. When testing for spark, I was checking directly from the coil, and not from a plug wire. My question is, what next?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Darren

Hey bud I'm having the same problem no spark plenty fuel pressure I've replaced fuel pump.fuel filter.crankshaft positioning sensor. Camshaft positioning sensor fuel regulator injectors . I had a ecm flashed but when they sent it to me it don't act right it gets spark and fuel with the new ecm/pcm but as soon as it starts for 1 second it does
I don't know where to go from here if anyone finds anything out let me know my number is (615) 388-8763

mountainmanjoe October 24th, 2018 4:35 AM

Buddy posted that 8 years ago and hasn't been back since, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Best to post a new topic with your question, and provide your van details.

loopedr1 October 24th, 2018 4:18 PM

i guess the person who revived the thread was hoping the person from the first post fixed it and wanted to know the solution to the same issue????...i hate when people post trying to get help and never post the fix......