Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Add-a-leaf vs Helper Springs (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/add-leaf-vs-helper-springs-96182/)

haznavy July 1st, 2019 6:51 PM

Add-a-leaf vs Helper Springs

Looking to raise my rear end 2", increase payload and level out my rig post-conversion and addition of heavy interior fittings. I found the leveling spacer for the front but, looking for suggestions for the best option for the rear. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

tech2 July 2nd, 2019 10:27 AM

nothing you can add will legally increase the payload. the number is the number; no changing it.

What model year and size vehicle?

to better handle the load that is within the limits...airbags is one option I like. They prevent sway and tighten everything up better than any other mod imo. the only downside is eventually the air spring will leak and require replacement.

haznavy July 2nd, 2019 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 431046)
nothing you can add will legally increase the payload. the number is the number; no changing it.

What model year and size vehicle?

to better handle the load that is within the limits...airbags is one option I like. They prevent sway and tighten everything up better than any other mod imo. the only downside is eventually the air spring will leak and require replacement.

2015 Chevy Express 3500 EWB LS w/ Advanced 4x4 kit (3.5" lift) with 3.73 rear and OEM springs. Looked into bags but was turned off by the upfront price and inevitable cost of replacing the bags; so, I'm back to AAL or a super spring. Thanks.

StanVan July 3rd, 2019 12:55 PM

So, a full ton isn't enough capacity? Sounds to me like you need a bigger truck.

Beau Oszman July 3rd, 2019 10:33 PM

Reminds me of modifying my sport bike. "It's not how fast you want to go, it's how fast you can afford to go" -Paul (my favorite mech)

StanVan July 4th, 2019 5:03 PM

That's actually a racing thing. "How many dollars faster do you want to go?"

tech2 July 4th, 2019 7:50 PM

you know how to become a millionaire racing? Start as a billionaire.

toolhore July 9th, 2019 11:55 AM

I have a question about this matter. My van is a 2007 2500. I'm a big fan of spring loaded shocks, but have been unable to locate them for the 2500. The 1500 and 3500 yes but no 2500. Nothing on the internet and no auto stores can offer an explanation or suggestion. Thoughts anyone. I've used them for years on other vehicles and find them to be easy to install and most importantly, they do what they are suppose to do.

StanVan July 9th, 2019 10:23 PM

Go to a site like Rock Auto and look up the shocks for all three models for your year and compare part numbers. There should be no physical difference (length) between them. My guess is that the 2500 is the same part number as one of the other models.

mountainmanjoe July 9th, 2019 10:34 PM

The 1/2 ton rides lower than the others. They have different axles, wheels and leaf springs.