Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding 12 volt power outlet

Old August 9th, 2016, 1:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 12 volt power outlet

I'd like to add a 12 volt power outlet in the rear of my '98 1500 conversion van. Any ideas as to where I can tap into an existing circuit?
It would be convenient to have just inside the rear doors but I don't know what I can tap into.
Old August 9th, 2016, 5:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing...lol.
You may be able to rob from the wiring for the trailer brakes if you have that option, but otherwise I would run a new wire from the dash. also be aware of what you tap into.
Old August 10th, 2016, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by wgander
I'd like to add a 12 volt power outlet in the rear of my '98 1500 conversion van. Any ideas as to where I can tap into an existing circuit?
It would be convenient to have just inside the rear doors but I don't know what I can tap into.
My 2001 Express van has an orange fused power wire under the hood that goes all the way back to the trailer wiring harness. I would think you could tap into that. Check your owner's manual for more info on it. Mine is below:
Old August 10th, 2016, 9:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks, Black '95. My van has the wiring, I remember it being mentioned in the owners manual, but don't remember if it had the wiring info or just a mention that the wire was taped to the frame and available.
I don't know why Canuck is laughing out loud.
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The lol was for the idea of tapping into an existing circuit, and I did mention the trailer brake harness, if you had one. Glad you do.

Search this Thread