Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Adding power mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2013, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding power mirrors?

I'm no stranger to doing weird modifications to cars, and wiring up my own custom switches and controls, just FYI:

We bought a 2009 Express 3500 extended passenger van (12 seats, could hold 15, yeah, cool stuff). Anyhow, when my wife and I switch drivers, we have to move the mirrors every single time, and it is a major PITA, considering if either of us in the drivers seat leaned all the way over we couldn't even touch the friggin' mirror on the other side, let alone adjust it.

That said, it would be very nice to install some power mirrors on this thing. Can it be done? I presume the harness isn't there in mine? All harnesses are hand made as far as I know, and they don't just add extra connectors for the heck of it, so I DOUBT the connectors are already there, am I right?

Now, if the connectors aren't on the harness, I hope this thing doesn't have to go through the ECU, does anyone know if it can simply be wired directly from the mirror to the switch?

Apparently the GM part number is 15227418, and someone has one (one side) on eBay below, says it's for a 2008, don't know if it's interchangeable or not.

Chevrolet GMC 15227418 Mirror Driver LH Side Heated Power Blk Express Van | eBay
Old September 26th, 2013, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Its possible the harness and connectors are there depending on what level model van you have...
And to the best of my knowledge the mirror operations do go through the BCM, so once you get the hardware installed it could need programming to enable the "feature"
However it is possible that the mirrors and the switch module can be added and everything work, I don't know how much the vans differ from the Trucks and SUV's...
The following users liked this post:
Rsimon0303 (November 27th, 2019)
Old September 27th, 2013, 9:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I have found is if you have a basic cargo van, there is no extra wiring anywhere. But yours being a passenger van there is a good chance it is. I would pop off the little triangle sail cover in the corner of the door and look and see if the wiring is there. If so, I am guessing all you would need is the mirrors and the switch, everything else would be there and ready.
Old September 28th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Oh, THAT would be awesome if it's there, I'll check that first.
Old October 20th, 2014, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Do you have an update on this? Thanks!

Hey guys!! I'm new to this.. I have a 2013 Chevy Express 2500 powered windows and locks but manual mirrors. I found them online but want to find out if it can be done before I proceed. My local dealer wasn't very helpful.
Old October 21st, 2014, 9:53 AM
CF Beginner

They won't be helpful. It can be done, the mirrors should bolt right up, and the wiring diagram is available online for wiring the switch to the mirrors. To test it before you solder, hook up a 12V power source (any old 12V wall wart laying around should be fine), and connect it to the switch power line, and then appropriate switch wires to the mirror, then push the switch in each direction to see if it moves. When it does, you know you hooked it up right, label the wires, and continue with the rest.

Only trouble I have is how to mount the switch in the driver door. I'm not about to drop the $300 or whatever it is for the new door handle/panel
Old October 21st, 2014, 5:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Source the parts from an auto wrecker/salvage yard. You can get a passenger series door panel with all the switches in it and maybe the mirrors too.

They are heated too i think....consider that in the wiring....
Old November 6th, 2017, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hi Timbero90

Hi Timbero90, can you tell me, if you figured out, if your van with power windows and locks, had any extra wiring you could use for power mirrors? Thank you
Old November 6th, 2017, 7:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't hold your breath waiting for him to answer. His profile says he hasn't been here since October of 2014.

If you tell us your year and model, maybe someone who does know the answer might chime in. I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that the wiring is in my 2016 3500 LT.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can confirm that on my 2013 passenger savana the wiring and harness is there. Even the plug for the mirror to plug into is there. However, I have yet to stop procrastinating and try installing the mirrors
i bought online. Also you will need a switch and cover plate where the power window switch is, and that is the hardest part to fine of all.

Quick Reply: Adding power mirrors?