Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Adjust TPMS for higher pressure tires (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/adjust-tpms-higher-pressure-tires-94030/)

Chuckm51 January 27th, 2019 10:24 AM

Adjust TPMS for higher pressure tires

Bought used 2009 Express 1500 that was fitted with P rated tires with a max pressure of 50psi. Replaced them with LT rated tires with a max pressure of 80psi.
The dealer wants $125 to recalibrate the TPMS system. Is there a way for me to adjust the normal pressure amount?
Thanks.

regis101 January 27th, 2019 10:58 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but its my understanding that the TPMS has nothing to do with anything except letting you know the tire pressure with its relative tire. That, and illuminating the dash indicator. So, who cares? Put a piece of tape over the icon if it bugs ya. When its time for inspection or smog check, lower the TP to the level that the monitor is calibrated with. Just sayin

tech2 January 27th, 2019 1:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckm51 (Post 369841)
Bought used 2009 Express 1500 that was fitted with P rated tires with a max pressure of 50psi. Replaced them with LT rated tires with a max pressure of 80psi.
The dealer wants $125 to recalibrate the TPMS system. Is there a way for me to adjust the normal pressure amount?
Thanks.

that is the going rate to perform this job. You can't adjust this without a scan tool that can access the module...either the ebcm or ddlm.

StanVan January 27th, 2019 1:57 PM

But you shouldn't use a higher pressure. Chevy has determined the correct pressure by figuring the weight capacity of the van.

Edit- Seems to me that LT tires are the correct tires in the first place. Why would the PO change out or reprogram the TPMS sensors? He probably went with P tires to save money, and changing the TPMS might cancel out any savings.

Just sayin'.

mountainmanjoe January 27th, 2019 2:58 PM

You don't need special tools. Just letting out some air is enough to recognize/relearn a tire.

mountainmanjoe January 27th, 2019 3:05 PM

Originally Posted by StanVan (Post 369852)
Seems to me that LT tires are the correct tires in the first place.

'P' tires will potentially give a nicer ride. As long as you meet the load/speed ratings, I don't see why it would be a problem.

My 1500:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/chevrol...861307f47f.png

canucklehead January 27th, 2019 3:25 PM

You should have just put p rated tires in my opinion. Factory tire specs are designed for that van. The lt 10 ply tires have a stiffer sidewall for loads you will never carry in that van. Also you get better fuel economy on the passenger tires.

As for your situation, are you getting an error message for over inflation? Another option is to replace the tpms sensors with the right ones, since the batteries in them don't last forever, and yours are 10 years old....

Also, its 50 psi for the fronts and 80 on the rears if you have the higher gvw 2500 or 3500 vans.

regis101 January 27th, 2019 4:28 PM

He can run those tires and still keep them at factory pressure settings. Would probably help with ride quality.

Vehicle specs for tires and/or pressures are indeed part of the equation. Changing from OE spec tires isn't a problem and new TP can be calculated to at least bring Weight ratings for front and rear back to par. However, this may be higher or lower than the TPMS sensor and give a dash light.
I have two tire pressure formulas but posting them here would be drifting off topic . One is easy, the second is a bit more math but not bad.

tech2 January 27th, 2019 5:32 PM

the op is referring to changing the pressure in which the tpm triggers a warning...not learning the sensor. this requires a change in the module set up.
LT's are a better tire. I would prefer them over a p tire. I mounted and balanced quite a few over 17 years...Lt's balance with less weight and have less runout.

regis101 January 27th, 2019 7:33 PM

If he bought them for looks then the OE pressure is fine. If he's gonna use them to take advantage of their higher load rating, then a recalibration would be in order. A part of that equation is how much GAWR will there be.
I agree about the LT tires. They make some nice ones.
My OE new tires have a 110 load rating and are just fine for this application.
Hopefully the OP can post a few pic's of what he chose.