Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Aftermarket stereo and backup camera installation

Old March 21st, 2019, 5:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by funtwodrv
Question on functionality... can you have your camera on while playing a CD? The radio we have has a mode that enables the camera to be on anytime but, it mutes the CD or iPod when the camera is switched on and is a real PITA.

Regards,
Gary
I just went out and tested. The audio continues playing when the reverse camera is on for radio, cd, dvd, audio input, and streaming. I did not test the AV input or SD card content, but I would wager that they would also continue playing. The only caveat is when you shift into reverse when you first start the van and the audio has not yet started playing when you do that it basically postpones the stereo startup until you shift out of reverse. Depending on what source you are set to it only takes seconds to start, so you could just wait for the audio to start before backing.
Old March 24th, 2019, 5:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pictures are always great. That's cool of you to take the time.
Old March 28th, 2019, 12:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by pile0g00
I just went out and tested. The audio continues playing when the reverse camera is on for radio, cd, dvd, audio input, and streaming. I did not test the AV input or SD card content, but I would wager that they would also continue playing. The only caveat is when you shift into reverse when you first start the van and the audio has not yet started playing when you do that it basically postpones the stereo startup until you shift out of reverse. Depending on what source you are set to it only takes seconds to start, so you could just wait for the audio to start before backing.
I just have to correct one thing here. The other day I was backing out of my garage when I heard the DVD audio start playing, so it will actually finish the boot and start playing audio while backing; however, the audio level was pretty low and I could not adjust it until I shifted out of reverse.
Old April 6th, 2019, 11:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by pile0g00
What year is your van. I'm planning on installing a stereo on my 2015 van. I have factory rear camera on the rear-view mirror. I wanted tap into factory camera to my pioneer stereo.
Old April 7th, 2019, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

My van is a 2013 Chevy Express 3500 LT with the 6.0L
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like what you did with back up camera, the switch that is. Right now, my amps are draining the battery because either the Amp On wire from the Head Unit doesn't actually work (common software issue) or I have a setting wrong on the DSP. Finally last night I had realised that I could use the separate control to turn off the Amps when I park for the night. Looking at what you did.. I am thinking... why not just have a button for the whole system (including the radio) so that a guy does not need the key in the ignition? It all depends on how you use your truck, but I would often park and run out the RAP timer. I would have to switch the key back on.. something for me to think about anyways.

What I really need to do is list all the components, list all the connections, then decide how I really want it all to work. Lately I have been thinking that once I have my auxiliary batteries installed, I am just going to run the radio, the amps, the dsp and any extra things like USB Chargers and Laptop Inverters off the Aux Batteries which will be isolated when the key is off. This way I can ALWAYS start the truck. I miss so many hours having to charge it back up before I can leave the house because everything is temporary and half installed. I wanted to extend the RAP feature anyways, speaking of which, you lost that didn't you?

You can no longer park, shut the truck off and roll your windows up and down with no key in the ignition right?

You took the factory deck out and lost RAP. That's just another reason why I want to use the factory circuit board for Chimes. I keep the RAP feature, plus the factory sounds. Now however, I am thinking why use RAP anyways. Just use Aux Batteries.

Last edited by dberladyn; April 7th, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old April 8th, 2019, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Silent20, I'd suggest leaving the stock cam/mirror in place, and get a brake light camera for your Pioneer

That way, you have two angles.
Old April 10th, 2019, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

dberladyn,

I am glad the switch gave you some ideas. You may need a more heavy duty switch to run your amps through it. I saw some others when I bought mine that were rated for higher loads. I think it sounds like a good plan. I am thinking of doing something similar as my kids would often rather hang out in the van and watch movies while we run in the store and they almost drained the battery the other day.

As far as RAP goes I don't think I lost any functionality, but I keep forgetting to go check the window up/down after the key is removed. I will try to remember and post back, but I just thought I would let you know that it seems like everything works as it did before. I still have all the chimes and my radio stays on after I turn the van off and it turns off when I open any of the doors. My aftermarket harness included a device to retain those functions, although the chime is not as pleasant sounding as the factory one and my wife did complain about missing the old chime. Now that I think about it, when I had the factory stereo it would only shut off when I opened the driver side door and that was super obnoxious and the aftermarket setup kills the stereo no matter what door I open. I am often getting kids out of their seats and then I just exit out of the passenger door, so I would have to open and close the driver door even if I was not going to exit that way.
Old April 11th, 2019, 11:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn
You can no longer park, shut the truck off and roll your windows up and down with no key in the ignition right?
I finally remembered to test this and I can not park, shut the van off and roll my windows up and down with no key in the ignition. I can't honestly say I could do that with the factory stereo, because I did not have it long before I replaced the stereo and I can't say I ever tried that. The unit is updatable via USB and it might be something added with an update, but you would have to check with axxess on that or like I said my van may have never had that feature.
You took the factory deck out and lost RAP.
No, I have RAP in a lot of instances and I am not sure I even lost the window thing.
That's just another reason why I want to use the factory circuit board for Chimes. I keep the RAP feature, plus the factory sounds.
I still have chimes, but they don't sound the same as factory and as I said before my wife preferred the factory chimes.
Now, however, I am thinking why use RAP anyways. Just use Aux Batteries.
That seems like the better route to go considering what you want to do. RAP does not keep the power on all that long anyway before it kills the power.
Old April 15th, 2019, 3:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
Silent20, I'd suggest leaving the stock cam/mirror in place, and get a brake light camera for your Pioneer

That way, you have two angles.
Do have have you recommend? Hopefully something cheap.

Search this Thread