Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Aftermarket stereo and backup camera installation

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2019, 8:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.UaxoHKCSn_I

I had the Navinio, and it failed in less than a year. I had it hooked up to have power when the stereo was on, so I could activate it without being in reverse (to keep an eye on my trailer going down the road). I don't think it liked being on that much. The replacement is switched manually, but also works automatically when in reverse.
Old April 18th, 2019, 11:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttI bought this
Amazon Amazon
like new for $36. I should receive it Saturday.

The stereo module that I bought
Amazon Amazon
to connect my new aftermarket stereo came with this adapter
Metra Online. I couldn't find a place to connect it to, I looked behind the stereo, the mirror, and both a pillards. Is that adapter for vans that have the display on the stereo and not on the mirror?

Last edited by silent_20; April 18th, 2019 at 1:42 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You shouldn't need that Metra piece if you're using the brake light cam, and keeping the mirror with the stock (license plate) camera. I got that cable as well, but I didn't have the stock camera.

Sorry for the late response, I'm out of town.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

I installed the stereo and camera over the weekend. Its nice having 2 different cameras. I'm going to try and raise the angle of the 3rd brake light, I see too much of my back windows.
Old April 24th, 2019, 1:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

pile0g00,

Now that you've had your Boss stereo for a while, what is your impression of that head unit? Sound quality, information on the screen, navigation, bluetooth call quality, button/dial responsiveness and feel, etc? It has many of the features I'm looking for, and it's more affordable than Pioneer, Kenwood, etc (with similar features). However, Boss is usually considered a lower quality brand. I'd like to hear from someone with real-world use. Thanks.
Old April 24th, 2019, 1:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am considering installing a back up camera on my 2002 Express 1500 conversion van. What are the best/preferred/recommended options out there?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by GatorHawk24
pile0g00,

Now that you've had your Boss stereo for a while, what is your impression of that head unit? Sound quality, information on the screen, navigation, bluetooth call quality, button/dial responsiveness and feel, etc? It has many of the features I'm looking for, and it's more affordable than Pioneer, Kenwood, etc (with similar features). However, Boss is usually considered a lower quality brand. I'd like to hear from someone with real-world use. Thanks.
GatorHawk24,

Here are my impressions of the Boss now that I have had it for a while:
Sound quality: It sounds better than the stock stereo and I am sure I could easily destroy the stock speakers by turning it up too loud. It has a customizable EQ, so you can set it up to your liking and the balance is also really flexible.
Information on the screen: It is has a pretty bland interface, but it also pretty intuitive. I usually just use the Mode button to toggle from one thing to the next, so I rarely see the home screen.
Navigation: I have only used it a few times and it got me where I was going. Putting in an address reminds me of using my parent's old Garmin. Honestly, my wife was the one that wanted built-in offline navigation.
Bluetooth call quality: I have only used it maybe a dozen times and I have not had any complaints on either end of the call.
Button/dial responsiveness and feel: The buttons all feel and work really well. The touchscreen, on the other hand, is a little finicky and takes some getting used to especially when you are trying to scroll.

Other thoughts on the head unit:
If I could go back and do it again I would buy the same one. I am not looking to build a killer audio system with thousands of dollars in speaker amps and subs. I just wanted a head unit that had additional features that the stock one did not. I will put in better than stock speakers in the stock holes and a powered sub later on, but that is it. I have built big name brand systems before with lots of extra custom speakers and boxes, but those usually end up stollen and windows broken. I am too old to care and probably too old to hear a difference anyway.
The navigation keeps the wife happy, but I am still fine with using my phone when I need it.
The DVD keeps the kids really happy and even more so when I add additional screens.
One of my favorite features is streaming Pandora from my phone to the head unit and that has worked well. You do need to first start the app on your phone and choose your station.
The backup camera feature works great as I explained in one of my other posts.
The audio level from one source to the next does require some tweaking and can be done in settings.

The only reason I can think that you would be unhappy with this unit is if you already have a nice aftermarket setup with high-end speakers and are a true audiophile and can hear all the little differences. If you were to take an expensive name brand head unit out of a high-end setup like that and drop in the Boss head unit you may notice a difference. If you are going from a stock head unit with stock or mid price range speakers you should be pretty happy with this head unit.

On a side note, I have been really happy with my backup camera and the location of it. I like being able to see my hitch/bumper and also being able to see down the road. The guidelines are kind of useless, but most are. Only the cars with built-in smart guidelines that bend as you turn really work well, but you can add a module that will do that with any camera/head unit.
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MiragePilot
I am considering installing a back up camera on my 2002 Express 1500 conversion van. What are the best/preferred/recommended options out there?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
I would recommend my setup that is documented in this thread, but that is mainly because I have not seen anyone post pictures of what they see with their setup. I have seen the stock setup in the mirror and that was too small of an image for me. I want to to be able to see my hitch/bumper as well as down that road and that is what I got with my setup. What is best/preferred/recommended is really just a matter of opinion. I am still interested in the brake light setup, but I have heard too many people say they see the back windows of the van more than they would like with that setup. I also recommend adding a button like I did to be able to manually turn the backup camera on at any time.
Old April 29th, 2019, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by silent_20
I installed the stereo and camera over the weekend. Its nice having 2 different cameras. I'm going to try and raise the angle of the 3rd brake light, I see too much of my back windows.
Would you please post a picture of what you see on the screen with your 3rd brake light camera setup at day and night?
Old April 29th, 2019, 5:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine stopped working. I think I unplugged it or something. My dash is a mess as I am still have installed. I was ready to buy batteries, but they only shipped on mounting bolt with the battery tray so now I have to order three more and wait. My fault I guess, but... if I get mine working again I'll take a photo of the factor camera on a larger 8" screen.