Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Auxiliary Battery Switch - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2018, 7:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by StanVan
The 4000 watt inverter I looked up said the input line was protected by a 30 amp fuse.
Show me because that makes no sense.

Power does not equal voltage times current.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power#Definition

Stan just stop LOL
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, if I can chime in here over the nearly three years this has been on an off my mind I have come to many design ideas. At this point I am now planning that I will decide when I actually begin crossing each bridge. Which is partly why I have made this post. For reference.

I think I had roughly settled on the idea of a 200 amp relay connected to the RAP or RUN circuit. In the cab I can have a Start / Boost switch which probably would never get used if I actually install it. You know: Murphy's Law. After the relay, if I had two banks of auxiliary batteries (two, three or four batteries each depending how crazy I feel), I would install an isolator. This way each bank is protected from each other and the charging circuit it protected from the chassis system by means of a relay. Of course, I have also found custom mounts for one, two or three alternator systems and this has me thinking too. I could just add a second alternator and dedicate it to the auxiliary batteries, having to keep sharp in the mind about never accidentally connecting the two different electrical systems by an poorly thought out accessory circuit. A small gauge wire or a circuit board connecting the two could cause a fire under the right circumstances. Then as I think of all these ideas, I realize I am probably over designing. Two auxiliary batteries are probably more than enough considering my currently projected needs. Even further, with all of these components comes even more options. A person could have a battery selector switch for each task. A person could even add switches to the alternators, changing their duties by the selection of a switch. Again, all over kill.

I cannot really make any decisions on anything until I start installing components. So my plan is to buy some factory auxiliary battery mounts, then buy a matching number of batteries and install all of these. Once I have done that, I have my heavy gauge factory battery wire already. I could hook them up directly in parallel as some GM Schematics show, but I am pretty sure I want these disconnected from the chassis battery when the truck is not running. It doesn't really matter how it is done, but a relay seems the most appropriate for this task. The only other thing that I require myself to do is to install a fuse at the location of the auxiliary batteries for safety measures. After that, the options are endless. Any idea on Fuses and Fuseholders? 200amp? Located within 12" of the battery terminals?

Inverter / Tool Wise - One day I will look at the wattage / amperage of the devices themselves. On an inverter circuit they are the primary things I need to be able to run. I ball parked my needs at 4000W as being more than adequate with two batteries to run it and I haven't changed my thoughts since. Those are just specs based on what is actually available and what feels right to my mind, not specs from any math I have done. I am not interested in adding an inverter right now, just batteries for back up power, my multiple amplifiers and for charging devices (phones, tablets, laptop).

Last edited by dberladyn; November 21st, 2018 at 7:39 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 7:39 PM
Super Moderator

You missed the most important thing. What exactly do you want to do with it? Everything else follows from that.

I think you are in BC aren't you. Go to Canadian Energy Vancouver and tell them what you want. They have everything you need and call tell you what you can expect to pay. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; November 21st, 2018 at 7:42 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 8:59 PM
CF Pro Member

No. I do as much as I can with everything in my life myself. The journey is half the fun, half the purpose.

Right now I want what I said I want. Aux Batteries for my Amps, Laptop, Tablet, Cell. Eventually if I get back on path I want an inverter to power tools so I can work straight from my truck and reduce time and energy wasted on small jobs making me more efficient and more profitable. Aside from money being an issue, I rarely get what I want when I hire somebody. This is true just about everywhere I go, even a courtroom.

I do understand your point though. Figure out my power requirements and design the system to meet such.
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My bad, Joe. It was a 6000 watt inverter;

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Power-Brigh...verter/3125915

You'll see in the specs that it puts out a constant 50 amps, but has 30 amp internal fuse

Dan, seems to me a small generator would do better for you. I don't know what kind of tools you use, but most tools don't draw that kind of power. My shop tools don't draw anywhere near 4000 watts. Maybe collectively, but I can only use one at a time. A welder could use that much.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Note the PLURAL.

We all miss stuff like that. Happens to the best of us.

Old November 21st, 2018, 11:27 PM
CF Pro Member

The primary tool I would use is rated 8.5 amps.

8.5 A x 120 V = 1020 W

1020 Watts. Now seeing I have days where I really need to push a tool like that past it's breaking point, I would declare that the tool needs twice that.

2000W just for a mixing drill. Now if I am going to install an inverter and possibly be able to work right out the van, I should make sure there is ample power for any tool. Double it again, 4000W. Bear in mind, I am not looking to set up my truck for 8 or 12 hours of production. I am looking to pull up somewhere for ten, twenty, thirty, sixty minutes, carry as little tools and supplies onto the site as I need to and leave so I can move onto the next site. A generator is not what I want. I want short burst of instant, pain-free, hassle-free power. An inverter is perfect. I'll keep 4000W in mind until I get closer to actually doing it. I always try to account for more than my foreseen needs. It has saved my rear end a lot. If I am going through the trouble, I may as well make sure I can meet other needs. Perhaps two hour power failures at home or if I actually buy a trailer and go camping or work out of town, likely the more power I have directly on tap the better.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dberladyn
No. I do as much as I can ...
I wasn't suggesting hiring somebody. I'm just saying when you make a purchase, and hand over your hard earned money to somebody, you have to make them work for it a bit. These guys really went out of their way for me.

Amps, Laptop, Tablet, Cell.
You don't need anything fancy for that. You could probably get away with one of these and not bother with batteries.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...-0111945p.html

Eventually if I get back on path I want an inverter to power tools
Cross that bridge later then. Cordless tools these days aren't what your papa had.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 1:04 AM
Super Moderator

My bad, Joe. It was a 6000 watt inverter;
No worries. The powerbright website has some more info about it
https://www.powerbright.com/product/pw6000-12
Unfortunately the spec sheet link is broken, but the manual has some useful stuff ... It's worth a look.

I didn't find any more info about the fuses like how many there are or how they're being used ... I dunno.
What I do know is that I hate fuses and having to replace them. I would try to find a device that uses circuit breakers instead.

They do say "PowerBrightTM recommends installing one ANL type fuse and fuse holder close to the positive battery bank terminal"
If you looks up ANL fuses they're huge. They're designed for 100's of amps.
Old November 22nd, 2018, 1:48 AM
CF Pro Member

I would definitely hook a fuse up between the battery and the inverter, preferably as close to the battery as possible. There is nothing wrong with ANL fuses. They are likely what I will install for my amps. Or maybe I will just install at the battery like I plan and trust it to protect the line all the way to the fuses in the amps. That's probably about right.

I have a 300W plug in inverter. That's not my style, nor does it really suit my needs. My plan is to, was to, will be to, have the cab of the truck somewhat as my mobile office. I will have a console against your guys tastes, I will also have a bulkhead, then shelving in the back. As far as modern high quality cordless tools go, I am heavily invested. There are no cordless power tools that will spin a 5 gallon bucket of mud. When that mud is frozen, which happens, sometimes one needs the wrist breaker drill. Something with a lot of torque. I want what I want. Sometimes I go completely overboard, but usually I find myself in a position where I can meet any needs I come across much to people's pleasant surprises. It helps me charge more and work less. More importantly, it boost my pride and my happiness. I never did skimp on tools or work. Not my style. This put me leagues ahead of others through the years.