Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

AWD Chevy Express question

Old January 19th, 2019, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Chevy Express question

AWD Chevy Express

AWD Chevy Express

Subscribed
Matthew Bell , Today 3:48 AM
Did GM make a full size AWD van with a capacity greater than 8pax? I am driving my wife nuts searching craigslist, auto trader ect. Need a ten passenger or greater. Am not trying to buy a Quigley conversion, do not need a 4x4 for intend use. AWD is all I am looking for.
Old January 19th, 2019, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

It looks like the AWD Express passenger models were offered only in the 8 seater, 1500 regular wheelbase platform from 2003 till 2014.
If you wanted an "AWD" with more seats or the 2500/3500 platform you had to spec the Quigley 4x4 from the dealership.
Old January 19th, 2019, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add a third row of seating?
Old January 19th, 2019, 8:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

It may be possible to retrofit a rear and two middle benches from a larger van; you'd need those specific benches, my 2002 I took the 4-spot bench out that was located just ahead of the rear wheels and it cannot be moved back, it's too wide; the vans with one at the very back must have a different one.

I don't know that you really need AWD in one of these, I was running around in the snow and slop today with just rear wheel drive with no real issues, I had to purposely jab the gas to make it fishtail around corners.
Old January 19th, 2019, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick answer is no. The AWD option was only on the 1/2 ton. Which they no longer make. 10 or more passengers means you need a 12 passenger witch means a 1 ton. You used to be a able to get 12 passenger in 3/4 ton, I am not sure what the last year that was.

Get a 1 ton with the locking diff.....

For liability reasons, I would not put more passengers in a van that was not made for them in case of a wreck. Modifying seats and seatbelts is not worth it....
Old January 19th, 2019, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
Quick answer is no. The AWD option was only on the 1/2 ton. Which they no longer make. 10 or more passengers means you need a 12 passenger witch means a 1 ton. You used to be a able to get 12 passenger in 3/4 ton, I am not sure what the last year that was.

Get a 1 ton with the locking diff.....

For liability reasons, I would not put more passengers in a van that was not made for them in case of a wreck. Modifying seats and seatbelts is not worth it....

Well said regarding a 3/4 ton or 1 ton; looks like a quigley is my only real choice.
Me and wife plus 8 kids is what necessitates the van high capacity passenger van. Living in AK on a back road is what is pushing the AWD/4WD requirement. We already own a RWD 15pax but it gets laid up when 8+ inches or greater fall.

Last edited by Matthew Bell; January 20th, 2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old January 20th, 2019, 7:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, in that situation I can see needing the four wheel drive.

I'm somewhat surprised Chevy doesn't make these themselves, it doesn't seem like it would be that complicated to do right out of the parts bins.
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the sayin goes, " When in Rome...."

Search this Thread