Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Backfires

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2009, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfires

After not running my vehicle over the weekend, every weekend because i use it for work, i go to start it up and it starts and idles fine but when i try to rev it in park or accelerate in drive it sputters almost to the point of stalling. If i really lay into it, i get this earth shaking backfire. I have put in dual exhuast with a flo-pro muffler so my neighbours don't enjoy sleeping in on monday mornings. i have removed the catalitic converter and i suspect that condensation is making its way to my motor. Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 3:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Was the car revised after you installed the pro mufflers? Backfires is usually caused by a build up of gasoline in your exhaust. (Sorry for my poor english). What happens is that your engine is unable to burn all of the gasoline and it gets into the exhaust. There it collects and normally the exhaust pushes it out and into the open air (where were you when they discovered the hole in the ozon layer????)
In case of a backfire there is underpressure in the exhaust. Which means there's not enough pressure coming from the engine into the exhaust to push the built up gasses into the open. Then all of the sudden, the gasoline gets ignited because of the heat of the exhaust and KABLAMOO!!! backfire!!!
Your engine gives of a certain amount of pressure which normally is suitable for your exhaust. But if you enlarge your exhaust (like with the flo pro muffler) then the engine needs revising (i hope that s the correct word).

If the revising has been done then you might want to check on the spark plugs. If one of them is wet, then that might also cause backfires. And if that isnt the case, then check the rotor. The rotorcover might be cracked.

And finally, but i hope for you that isnt the case.... it might be your gear box.