Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Barn Door to Slider

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2017, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Barn Door to Slider

Howdy-
Any chance that I can swap my barn doors for a slider? Chevy dealerships won't offer any advice. My thought was that if the doors are the same size, that I should be able to add the necessary hardware and replace my barn doors with a slider. I have access to a body shop for all the difficulties/complications involved. I guess the underlying question is if these vans are made with two different door "rough openings" off the line. Any information thank you!!! I like this new van and its ability to be both the work and family truckster, but I really don't like the barn doors, they take up too much room and are in the way.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails Barn Door to Slider-file_000.jpeg   Barn Door to Slider-file_000-2-.jpeg   Barn Door to Slider-file_000-1-.jpeg  
Old March 30th, 2017, 11:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a look at a van with a slider. The whole passenger side is different. Floor step is longer, side wall and its supports are different, and tons of other things. I would say it would be far cheaper to buy a different van.....unless you are a car builder, and have a shop to do the work.
Old March 31st, 2017, 7:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second canucklehead buy a van with a slider. Take a close look at a van with a slider, the amount of body work required too add a sliding door is substantial.

Last edited by solwav; March 31st, 2017 at 9:58 AM.
Old March 31st, 2017, 11:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by solwav
I second canucklehead buy a van with a slider. Take a close look at a van with a slider, the amount of body work required too add a sliding door is substantial.
Third...
Old March 31st, 2017, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that, thanks guys. I'll have to live with it as I've already gone a bit too far with customization on this van to realistically sell it. Looking at it now of course it's almost an impossibility. The track down the side, the track on the floor of the step...etc. 2 different beasts.
Old March 31st, 2017, 4:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Joshua Galusha
Copy that, thanks guys. I'll have to live with it as I've already gone a bit too far with customization on this van to realistically sell it. Looking at it now of course it's almost an impossibility. The track down the side, the track on the floor of the step...etc. 2 different beasts.
This is off topic, but not really (example Joshua's photos), wondering how to reliably share pictures that are in the correct orientation. Seems like a lot of times photos from my Samsung phone end up displaying sideways. Anybody know the secret?
Old April 8th, 2017, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually its the other way around . The slider doesn't allow you to run bigger tires without modifying your door.