Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Best up grades done

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2017, 2:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
All these years that I have been working on Cars.. and Trucks... I have always told my Wife
I am never surprised as to what I find....lol
and here is just another example... So if you guys have followed along with me since the
purchase of my Van that now has a nick name of ( Elmo )..... I have told you guys that I
bought from a Friend of a Friend that was down sizing his Fleet of work vehicles..
and this was just what I had been wanting.. Super Clean under the hood so on and so
forth... but I never would have expected what I found out .....
So the story starts with an Oil leak... didnt seem like much at first... I really thought it
had been coming from the top of the motor... you guys remember the valve covers were
a mess.... figured it was coming from them... but since I drove it a few more times..
thanksgiven day... and to get tires.. well the Oil leak has gotton Worse.... like dripping
watch it leak out a quart worse... so I did my inspection and then tighten of the Oil Pan
which appeared that was what was leaking... from one corner and to No luck it still leaked.
hhhhhhmmmm... OK.. so not really knowing what to expect on these 6.0's I went on
and ordered a Pan Gasket and also a Oil Cooler line gasket cause it attaches to the pan.
all the while I am thinking that the gasket was just over tightened by the last person
that was into it... they are metal and rubber compression gaskets .. and have to be
well should be torqued down correctly. so I am figuring that it was just smashed to the
point were it would not stop Fluid passing by... so take a look at the pics.. I think it will
be self explanatory .....
So after looking at the pics.. the idiots that worked on the Van last sure didnt know what
they were doing.. lol.. I will be making a friendly phone call later... and letting him know
what I am in the middle of... if nothing other than to educate him as to who he has
working for him..... and the understanding that he really doesnt know what he or she is
doing.. lol...
I have always stated pics tell a thousand words...
OK so the guy didn't remove all of the old gasket, and went over it with the new pan gasket, too bad, will you get your money back? You mentioned in passing a while back about your new oil pump, is this the same guy who replaced the oil pump?
Old December 13th, 2017, 2:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I clearly don't know exactly what I'm looking at, but maybe the only gasket on it was that small part? And the full, blue one is the new one?

My experience is with small motors. I've never been that far in to a car motor ever.
Old December 13th, 2017, 3:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ARTIE1
I believe so ..... from what I was told anyways... The same shop...
did the work.. now you prolly know like me.. not always does the same guy work
on the same car or truck...
TOO BAD... what exactly does that mean... cause seriously... it could have cause motor failure...for example
it holds I think 6 quarts of oil.. and when I drained the pan I filled up only 3.5 quarts and SHAWN at Tire Discounters
told me he noticed the leak and put in a quart for me.
I know reading someone's comments on here are hard to take sometimes.. but It reads like ( OH WELL )
who gives a #%@#..... seriously. Is that how you meant for that to come off ???
STAN..
yes you are correct in looking at the pictures that way the person that worked on it before left the STOCK part of the oil pan gasket on the bottom
side of the motor then went over the STOCK gasket with the NEW one.

So now I am just wondering what els is not right with the work that was done.... if any...
SURE could have been a simple mistake we all make them... but seriously this is Simply
mechanic's.... 101.... inspect clean and verify .... Just plain careless.
will I get my money back... it wasnt my money to begin with.... the work was done
pryor to me buying the van.. sure It prolly would be under a warrenty.. but DO I really want
that shop to do any thing else to my van.. I THINK NOT. LMAO
Old December 13th, 2017, 3:38 PM
CF Pro Member

STAN here is what the bottom of the motor looks like now after I had
spent some time cleaning all the old material off the block.
notice NO GASKET attached.. lol....
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-oil-pan-gasket-6.jpg  
Old December 13th, 2017, 4:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
TOO BAD... what exactly does that mean... cause seriously... it could have cause motor failure...for example
it holds I think 6 quarts of oil.. and when I drained the pan I filled up only 3.5 quarts and SHAWN at Tire Discounters
told me he noticed the leak and put in a quart for me.
I know reading someone's comments on here are hard to take sometimes.. but It reads like ( OH WELL )
who gives a #%@#..... seriously. Is that how you meant for that to come off ???
Hey Teammuir1 this is Twscarp, I said "too bad", in reference like, that's too bad, what a bummer, that guy should be fired... You took it the wrong way, I didn't mean it the way your thinking.
Old December 13th, 2017, 4:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Today, 5:29 PM #525
Twscarp

ARTIE1 Sorry... thats me coming trying to get warm I miss READ ... lol
didnt mean to bring you in on this lol....

OK>>> Twscarp... lol... I dont know how I miss read that...
any ways.. Ok.. I understand now.. Its hard sometimes to understand what a person
is thinking and saying when we are reading... I have had a heck a time today...
have not been able to spend as much time as I wanted to on this cause I would have
been done already... and its not I just made another trip to AutoZone... I bought a oil
level sensor .. since I was there I might as well.. right....
TWSCARP... I have had a rough day.. I sure did take it wrong thanks for clearing that
up appreciate that...
I am ready to install the PAN now.. I will be back in shortly.. lol...
Old December 13th, 2017, 6:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Twscarp

Sorry again bro.... I have the van back together.. uuuuugggg.. been a long very long day...
I dont know if I would go that far as to Fire someone.. but it sure did make me think
back on my younger days... working on vehicles ... we all make mistakes.. It just seems
that I get the brunt of most of them .. lol.
Old December 13th, 2017, 6:17 PM
CF Pro Member

This is how I was able to beet most of the cold today.. It was breezy big time here
so I wrapped the frt of the van up and then used my 150 Kerosene Turbo Heater pointed
down towards the ground from the rear driver side... I was nice and warm while I was up
under the van...
Attached Thumbnails Best up grades done-oil-pan-gasket-7.jpg   Best up grades done-oil-pan-gasket-8.jpg   Best up grades done-oil-pan-gasket-9.jpg  
Old December 13th, 2017, 6:22 PM
CF Pro Member

The other day I ordered another wheel.. it took them a few days to locate me one
but I went and picked it up earlier today and took it to Tire Discounter....
I will have another Tire put on to match the other 4... so now I will have a
matching wheel and tire for a spare...
I almost feel complete again.. lol...

For ARTIE1 and any others that want to know the name of the wheel...
you can google.... 2006 Dodge Power Wagon 3500 wheel.
it will come up... I think I might have been wrong the other day
when I posted that the wheel was 9 in wide.. I think its 8 inch wide.
just want to clearify that .....

https://www.getallparts.com/2006/Dod...SABEgJ9xvD_BwE
Old December 13th, 2017, 7:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I;m sure you think you were cold. I'd take your 47 over my 33 (both 8:00 temps) any day.

Quick Reply: Best up grades done