Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Better Performance for 2002 5.7 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Performance for 2002 5.7 Vortec

I have a 2002 2500 Express Van with a 5.7 Vortec Motor.

I'm pulling a cargo trailer with 2 harley's and am trying to get information on how to obtain more performance. Already have K&N Filter and am running synthetic oil.

When pulling a hill, the thing falls on his face and I have to downshift to 3rd 90% of the time even on flat terrain.

Talked with Summit and Hypertech and they say there is no performance tuner available for Express Vans though there is for pick ups with a 5.7, same motor.

Does anyone know of a performance tuner that is available for this model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2008, 6:40 PM
a4d
CF Beginner

Default RE: Better Performance for 2002 5.7 Vortec

googleNelson performance, or wheatly tune. Not sure if they do or not, but give em a call or it may be on their website.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Also search for Westers Garage.
He custom tunes most anything. Tell him what you have andwhat you want to do.
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same vehicle. It appears ro be the red headed step child of trucks. I have spoken with every major manufacturer of performance programmer with no luck. It was a transission year for engines as after that year they were available with the LS bases engines, plus they get rew requests for van upgrades of any kind. I was told that if you swapped engine software with that of a P/U truck into the vanm there would be excessive engine detonation after being performance tuned because a van puts similar loads on an engine to that of a RV. I an looking into a better flowing throttle body and free flow exhaust to pick up small gains, also an electric fan will get you about 10HP. I am also keeping my eyes open in trader papers for a cheap 5.3 or 6.0(a 8.1 would be nice but you'll never get one cheap, big blocks are expensive). I did regear my axle from 3.73 to 4.56, and just recieved my Gear Vendor's OD/UD unit which will alow me to run in the power band better and give me a gear between 3 and 4 plus let me run on 4 double over when not trailering. It's alot of work, but to a van fan..it's kind of fun just to se what can be done.