Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bilstein for my VAN

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2018, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going off of past experience when I thought my shocks were worn out and my tires were also needing replaced so I replaced my tires and the ride quality was back to good.

My point is that it's hard to tell which parts are giving poor ride quality if the tires are worn down. So I don't want to say my KYB's are worn out with 30k miles when I have worn out tires that are likely the reason for the spongy ride, but they could be.
Old December 8th, 2018, 9:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Makes sense to me, considering the high pressure of these tires.
Old December 8th, 2018, 2:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Stan my door sticker says fill to 35psi which is the same as a sedan. Anyway, I don't know why we're talking about sponginess when the OP was complaining that his ride is too stiff. However, note that an 'LT' designated tired will feel harsher than an equivalent 'P' tire.

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan

... my van is for road traveling, with actually no load (only whats in the conversion van, and the 5 passengers).
5 passengers + 1 driver + conversions can easily approach 3/4 tons. The OP didn't say what he is driving, but that's already over the 1/2 ton capacity of my 1500.
Old December 8th, 2018, 2:49 PM
CF Veteran

I guess that's the difference between a 1500 and a 3500. My '16 LT 3500 is 50 front, and 80 rear Something I have to keep an eye on when rotating the tires.

It wasn't the OP that mentioned spongy, and we have no idea what he's got. But this is a group discussion.
Old December 8th, 2018, 3:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Stan my door sticker says fill to 35psi which is the same as a sedan. Anyway, I don't know why we're talking about sponginess when the OP was complaining that his ride is too stiff. However, note that an 'LT' designated tired will feel harsher than an equivalent 'P' tire.

5 passengers + 1 driver + conversions can easily approach 3/4 tons. The OP didn't say what he is driving, but that's already over the 1/2 ton capacity of my 1500.

Wait. Really? Do you believe Im over the van capacity with just two captain chairs and the back “sofá”? A couple of extra things here and there but not that heavy.

Its a 1500, as the invoice says that.

My tires are new BTW, BFGoodrich Advantage TA, With 31 fronts and 35 rears -I believe-.
Old December 8th, 2018, 4:55 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know. Do the math. I just rounded up to 200lbs per person.

Originally Posted by StanVan
this is a group discussion.
It was a "help-me" question and I'm just trying to keep it on topic.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; December 8th, 2018 at 4:57 PM.
Old December 8th, 2018, 7:19 PM
CF Veteran

I think there's some wiggle room in the specs for these, or probably any van. When Empty, mine is supposed to be 6,400 lbs, and loaded at 9,600 lbs. Doing the "math", that's 200 lbs over the "full ton" rating. And I can't even explain the extra 400 lbs Virginia State added. Maybe they like that "10,000" number.
Old December 8th, 2018, 7:32 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by StanVan
I think there's some wiggle room in the specs for these, or probably any van. When Empty, mine is supposed to be 6,400 lbs, and loaded at 9,600 lbs. Doing the "math", that's 200 lbs over the "full ton" rating. And I can't even explain the extra 400 lbs Virginia State added. Maybe they like that "10,000" number.
Right. A large number of conversion vans were done on 1500s. I dont think all of them are over loaded. Mine even with only me driving feels like a school bus. I know they put “upgraded” suspension -what ever that mighty be- but what that could be?

BTW I thought that payload for a 1500 was 1500lbs
Old December 8th, 2018, 7:54 PM
Super Moderator

The lowest duty 1500 vans & pickups are generally referred to as a 1/2 ton (1000lb). But yes, it's an approximate measure. Your actual payload will depend on your configuration.

Take mine for example (YMMV). The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) from the sticker on the door says 7,300lb.
I know my gross weight from when I go to the garbage dump, and it's about 5800lbs (mostly empty with just driver, and keep in mind I took out all the bench seats). That means I have still have about 1500lbs (3/4 ton) to go before I'm at the rated capacity.

Now add to that 5 people (~1000lbs), at least two bench seats (~500lbs) and you're already there without high-top or whatever else. There is some margin, but then you start getting into roll-over territory. Especially with the extended models!
Old December 8th, 2018, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

If thats the case, what can i do to tune up suspension?