Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Bilstein for my VAN

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2018, 10:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Airbags ?

https://www.etrailer.com/p-AL57298.html?hhyear=2017&hhmake=GMC&hhmodel=Savana +Van

Or the following suspension parts ?

https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2017_GMC_Savana+Van.htm

Last edited by dberladyn; December 8th, 2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old December 9th, 2018, 7:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah,
I have seen the airbags and some upgrades ​​​​​but I always thought they were overkill for my wife, two kids and me in the VAN. I wish someone with a conversion van could chime in and share what upgrades the van has.
Old December 9th, 2018, 4:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

At this point it's still just a guessing game. Why don't you tell us what it is we're talking about here. Year, package, mileage. Snap some photos of your front and rear suspension. Maybe with some more information we can help you out.

The springs could be worn out. Measure your ride height and compare it against GM specs. Inspect leaf springs for deformation or cracks.
Did you test the shocks? Stand on the corner of each bumper (or sit on it if you're unable) and swing all your weight into it. How many bounces before it stops?

Originally Posted by GeneveConversionVan
My tires are new BTW, BFGoodrich Advantage TA, With 31 fronts and 35 rears -I believe-.
You have 35 inch tires in the back and 31 in the front???

For that matter, what are you comparing the comfort to? Have you driven vans before or are you new to them? Your van will never ride like an SUV.
Old December 9th, 2018, 8:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe he was talking tire pressure, not tire size.
Old December 9th, 2018, 8:34 PM
Super Moderator

How do you know that he doesn't like to drag race? There were no units on those numbers.
Old December 9th, 2018, 8:53 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
At this point it's still just a guessing game. Why don't you tell us what it is we're talking about here. Year, package, mileage. Snap some photos of your front and rear suspension. Maybe with some more information we can help you out.

The springs could be worn out. Measure your ride height and compare it against GM specs. Inspect leaf springs for deformation or cracks.
Did you test the shocks? Stand on the corner of each bumper (or sit on it if you're unable) and swing all your weight into it. How many bounces before it stops?

You have 35 inch tires in the back and 31 in the front???

For that matter, what are you comparing the comfort to? Have you driven vans before or are you new to them? Your van will never ride like an SUV.
LOL, I mean tire pressure.

Im new to the whole VAN world, even to Chevrolet world, but I know a little bit of cars and suspensions as I track my other cars a lot. Past SUVs are Audis, sedans are BMWs, but I know I shouldnt expect same ride quality. It just makes me wonder if the ride is like it is, and nothing to do about it.

So, my VAN is a 2001 Geneve Conversion VAN 1500. I dont know more than that as I bought it to an really old lady who cant tell the difference between 2001 and 2011. But I bought it because it has only about 30k miles, and its in amazing shape. Besides, Im just testing if the kids will like to travel in something like it (long road trips).

So, with all of that (I hope its helpfull) I will try to get you pictures tomorrow (I dont have the VAN parked here at home) and test the shocks as you suggest.

What Im trying to explain is that I have zero complains in perfect roads, the VAN feels like Im flying. No noise, easy going, no nothing. But in the second the road has small imperfections -not to mentions really bad roads- I fell like all those imperfections are transfered to the passengers. The whole VAN vibrates and you can tell how the VAN body is shaking receving full impact. Like an old school bus, with plastic chairs, when your butt feels every single road imperfection, you can tell that you are riding a brick.

But I ordered the KYB to replace (as the first step) what I have. I have no idea whats below the VAN right now. Its goint to be a good chance to take a look underneath.

Last edited by GeneveConversionVan; December 9th, 2018 at 8:56 PM.
Old December 9th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

So your body-on-frame van is in a totally different league than your Audi and BMWs. You need to adjust your expectations. Small improvements can be made to your van, but not a lot.
Old December 10th, 2018, 7:29 AM
CF Active Member

Agreed and fully aware of that. What Im looking for are those small improvements.
Old December 11th, 2018, 5:52 PM
CF Active Member

I cant really tell a lot about the current suspension. I did the test of bouncing in each corner and it moves 1 down, 1 up 1 dow and then stops. What I noticed is that the whole van moves not only up and down, but like "around"

Old December 11th, 2018, 7:30 PM
Super Moderator

There's your problem. The van is sitting on the bump stops (orange thing). You have zero travel left in your rear suspension, so the springs are either sagged out or it's overloaded.

I can't see the front bump stop in the photo.