Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

My 95 350 TBI Rad Issue

Old July 10th, 2023, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 95 350 TBI Rad Issue

It's a 350 TBI, stock radiator setup. I replaced my cracked radiator with a stock replacement and AFTERWARD noticed that the small valve right under the cap that feeds to the overflow reservoir was snapped off. Either I did it in transit, or it came that way, no idea.
This radiator came with a plastic outlet just below that broken nozzle that I think is for a different application, because the Rad came with a delete cap for that valve and I have no hose for it in my application.
So, I decided to get a hose to fit that outlet and run it to the reservoir instead. As for the broken nozzle, I JB welded and wrapped it closed.
My question is, anyone with experience can vouch for this set up working (where I placed the hose to the reservoir)? Any issues? Also, should I just cap that outlet and delete the reservoir?

FYI: this is a temporary setup to keep driving the vehicle until I can order a new non-damaged radiator. I do plan to drive the van maybe 100 miles or so this way in the upcoming weeks.

Here's an image of the old Rad nozzle that broke off on the new one, followed by the new rad and hose setup going to the reservoir.

Last edited by GBousley; July 10th, 2023 at 1:05 PM.
Old July 10th, 2023, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

So, thinking more about the hose attached to that outlet (seen in the 2nd pic in OP and new pic attached here), It appears to be BELOW the cap seal, where as the intended reservoir outlet is above where the cap seals inside the neck. My intuition is telling me that this setup will not work, as the system will try to pressurize the reservoir, correct? Which, I don't think is meant to be pressurized.

Old July 10th, 2023, 3:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

yes that was a terrible idea. The reservoir is vented. Your cooling system will not hold pressure which will (A) drop the boiling point and (B) cause the recovery system not to work at all , and (C) introduce air into the sytem
Sounds like a great way to overheat the engine and ruin it.
Old July 10th, 2023, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
yes that was a terrible idea. The reservoir is vented. Your cooling system will not hold pressure which will (A) drop the boiling point and (B) cause the recovery system not to work at all , and (C) introduce air into the sytem
Sounds like a great way to overheat the engine and ruin it.
Yep. Figured that. I put the old rad back in. It had a small crack that I JB welded months ago and hadn't leaked since. At least its in better shape than the new rad arrived in. Will order yet a new one.
Old July 10th, 2023, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

if the new rad has an extra nipple (which I believe is for a steam tube that goes to the cylinder head on some engines), then just block it off