Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   Brake Fluid black again (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/brake-fluid-black-again-95489/)

GeneveConversionVan May 13th, 2019 2:18 PM

Brake Fluid black again

I took the Van for a “complete” brake fluid flush. They showed me the used liquid (like half of a bottle) black as a coke, and then the new one in the reservoir.

I lasted 1 week after is all black again as a coke.

Any thoughts?

mountainmanjoe May 13th, 2019 2:27 PM

decomposing rubber brake lines.

GeneveConversionVan May 13th, 2019 2:59 PM

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe (Post 427960)
decomposing rubber brake lines.

Ahhh
Replacing lines before another flush. Thanks

loopedr1 May 13th, 2019 9:27 PM

even if you have bad lines they should go black that fast......im sure they just changed the fluid in the master cylinder.........a full flush will be a lot of fluid exchanged...more than 1/2 a bottle especially if you have anti lock brakes.......ive flushed brake fluids on many vehicles and youll need close to 2-3 quarts....

GeneveConversionVan May 13th, 2019 9:48 PM

Originally Posted by loopedr1 (Post 427989)
even if you have bad lines they should go black that fast......im sure they just changed the fluid in the master cylinder.........a full flush will be a lot of fluid exchanged...more than 1/2 a bottle especially if you have anti lock brakes.......ive flushed brake fluids on many vehicles and youll need close to 2-3 quarts....

I agree. I was never happy with the amount of fluid they removed. Something just wasnt right

loopedr1 May 13th, 2019 10:05 PM

have you though about changing the fluid your self......its not that hard.....just a little messy and time consuming if you dont have the correct tools.....

GeneveConversionVan May 14th, 2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by loopedr1 (Post 427997)
have you though about changing the fluid your self......its not that hard.....just a little messy and time consuming if you dont have the correct tools.....

I have a “track toy”. I bleed the brakes after each race myself. I just dont have the time/will to do it also for the van... lol

350CID May 14th, 2019 2:15 PM

Hope this brakesystem has only DOT3 brakefluid in it.
In my mind, a friend of mine had years ago a problem like this.
He went to shop and they hadn`t DOT3 and he took DOT 4 or anything else.
Shop said DOT4 is better than DOT3 and he filled this fluid. In Germany DOT3 is not so common, I think we use more DOT4 or 5.
Time later problems with brakesystem including black brakefluid.
It was so black that we named it fluidcoal. A jamglass full of this and You were not able to see very little light when torch should light throu.
A third vanner said we found the stuff, where black holes in space made from.....:)
End of all, we had to flush hole system with brakecleaner and replaced a lot of rubberthings in main + wheelcylinder and all rubbertubes on axles.

By the way, last week I manual flushed my 95 G20 4 wheel antilock and it`s took about a quart to have clear output of wheelcylinder + pumpmodul-bleeder.

Good Luck...

GeneveConversionVan May 14th, 2019 2:24 PM

AFAIK, DOT 4 and 3 are compatible, not DOT5.
Nevertheless, last time they used DOT3, no brand (Or at least I cant remember) but DOT3.