Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

brake and starting issues

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2016, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake and starting issues

Hello everyone, I am new here and have 2 issues. 1), at very slow speeds like when I am just about to stop I can feel my abs pulsate and the van pulls to the right, I just step a little harder on the brakes and it stops. 2), I live in maine and once every winter the van won't start. even after having been driven and shut off for an hour, I usually put a bottle of dry gas in it and wait about half an hour, it will start right up and not give me a problem the rest of the winter. Well it did the same thing today,it would try to start then stall. I waited a couple of minutes and it started just fine. I drove home about 9 miles, went in the house for 2 minutes and it wouldn't start. it tries to but it's like it's not getting fuel, I waited a minute and it started. it's a 2006 express 4.8 150,00 miles Fuel pump? fuel filter?
Any and all help will be appreciated

Last edited by jockoplumber; August 10th, 2016 at 3:35 PM.
Old August 10th, 2016, 4:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The brake issue sounds like one wheel is grabbing before the others and its binding up. have you had all the brakes off it and checked for uneven pad wear and uneven rotor surface? check your retainer clips on the front.
My 2013 had uneven wear because the rotor surface on the inside was a joke compared to the outer. New rotors fixed that.

The gas issue could be a fuel filter, but doubt it. I had a clogged filter and it causes lag on acceleration when you apply more than say half pedal pressure, caused by the restriction on fuel flow.
On my 2002 I had an intermittent issue where once in a blue moon i would start it and it would idle so rough that it would stall. Turn it off take out the key and then start again and its gone. I could never get it to do it again to have it checked. So I just lived with it for the 6 times it did it over 6 years.
Old August 10th, 2016, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

I can hear the fuel pump prime and have had no accelerating issues so I too do not believe it's a fuel pump or filter issue. May be like you say, live with it for as the small amount it happens. I have not looked at the brakes yet, the abs pulsing is what concerned me. Could I have a restriction inside one of the brake lines causing the abs to activate ? I will check the brakes tomorrow, could be a sticking caliper or very dirty, the brakes aren't that old. funny thing though my sons f-250 is doing the same thing and his brakes are brand new except for the calipers.
Thanks so much for the help, will get back
I reread your comment and something made sense, I too can get the van to start after removing the key. it won't start if I just keep trying it. strange very strange.
Thanks again

Last edited by jockoplumber; August 10th, 2016 at 4:24 PM.
Old August 11th, 2016, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

well after some diagnostics and a few swear words I had to have my van towed to the chevy dealer. I have good fuel pressure but no spark. Most common problem that I could research was a bad crank sensor so I changed it but that didn't help. I'm sure there could be many other problems but I don't have the diagnostic equipment or knowledge or patience. it's my work van and I need it fixed. Here's to hoping that it's not too serious, I'm kind of hoping it's the ignition switch but I don't have the skills to test it and know for sure
Old August 12th, 2016, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

well my van is fixed, turns out the ignition switch back fed to the under hood fuse block and melted some of the circuits preventing signals to the computors. So a new ignition switch and a new fuse block cured the problem. It cost more to put new tires on the wife's car than it did to fix the van so I'm not complaining