Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Buying a used 89 G20 for work van..

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2017, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used 89 G20 for work van..

I am looking at buying a 1989 G20 with about 130k miles on it. They say no problems other than the powersteering is out and needs new front tires. They are asking 1500.

I don't know much about these vans, I am mechanically inclined though. Is it worth putting one of these old vans to work or am I setting myself up for endless repairs and headaches?

Anything specific I should look at, be aware of or ask before buying?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old July 15th, 2017, 2:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi, I think a lot has to do with where the van is from, south, southwest or the northern states where salt takes it toll. The van is 28 years old, if from the northern climes the body is probably getting rusty, and the brake lines should be replaced. If it was maintained correctly you could get another 50k out of it. I had a 92 G20 4.3 that I bought with 20k miles, other than crawling under it about 100 times for oil and filter changes, engine and trans were fine, did put a radiator, couple water pumps, starter, and about three fuel pumps in it though. The general outside bottom of the body (not the interior floor) was going away, then for the last year the slider was getting very fragile (being a carpenter, I needed that side door), I had to retire it with 316,000 miles. I would look for any bad fluid leaks, rear main seal, dripping at bottom of trans bell housing ($500-$1000), valve cover gaskets, trans output shaft seal, and the bottom of the radiator. Good luck...
Old July 15th, 2017, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response! It's in Indianapolis, guess I'll have to take a look at it.
Old July 16th, 2017, 1:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I setting myself up for endless repairs and headaches?
That is true. Being from Indiana, rust will be a big problem with every repair you attempt to do.
Old July 20th, 2017, 7:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Anything that old will need repairs. I have an 88. drop your tranny pan and look for metal chunks. If you have them or the tranny fluid is dirty and smells burnt the tranny is bad. block the wheels put it in neutral. grab each end of the drive shaft. if it is sloppy at the rear end the rear end is going out.jack the front end up and grab the front wheels front and back and side to side push pull. If sloppy it needs front end work or wheel bearings.
Old July 25th, 2017, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Find one from Arizona! I'm serious!