Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Express & G-Series Vans (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/)
-   -   can you update to new style headlights and grill? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/express-g-series-vans-30/can-you-update-new-style-headlights-grill-35559/)

tsbrewers October 22nd, 2014 7:41 AM

from my research, if you have a plain Jane cargo van, then you don't have the wiring. If you have a passenger van, or a van that has power windows/locks already (but no cruise) then the wiring would be there. And on '07+ I believe they are drive by wire, and nothing is needed in any, besides the column switch.

Mine is a plain cargo van, so I am not concerned about the rear much, it is all tools. I have the safety divider right behind the front seats, so I insulated that to basically separate the cab from the back. That cuts down on a ton of noise from the back, makes my heater and a/c awesome, etc.

I did add a backup camera since mine is a cargo van with no windows behind the drivers/passenger's. I also installed Blaupunkt head unit with gps, dvd, etc. And 6x9 speaker boxes behind the front seats so I am ok there. If I lived closer to a u-pull junk yard, I would probably do a few more things, but the closest one is about an hour and a half away.

For me the biggest thing was cruise. Then probably the seats, then down the line.

Wills.WindowsAndWheels October 26th, 2014 1:17 PM

Well im even later to the party, but i have a 96' Express conversion van (even older!). Is this conversion possible for a van the age of mine?

USA 1 November 7th, 2014 3:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels (Post 287680)
Well im even later to the party, but i have a 96' Express conversion van (even older!). Is this conversion possible for a van the age of mine?

Absolutely. Get the chrome bumpers too. The sidelights and turn signals you want to grab when you see them.

You should be good up to 2002 for harvesting parts.

AprilGarcia86 January 10th, 2015 7:09 PM

Bought harness at local auto parts store

We bought new harnesses at our local O'Reily auto parts store for $12

Originally Posted by USA 1 (Post 170422)
Most salvage yards will sell you that harness for 20 bux or less in our area.

It's worth the time you take to go and get it as you may find other items to upgrade your van. Of course, that's easy to say for an old retiree.

Try a mass Craigslist search by typing a google search like: 2005 Chevy Express Van Parts site: craigslist.org

My total swap over cost for the grille, headlights and bumper was a whopping $210 cash. 1 hour at the wrecking yard in Mason, MI plus 1 hour in the driveway to cut and assemble.

Good luck with your conversion. BTW, getting new extruded nuts for your conversion is smart if you are in a salty winter environment. Trade Fastener in Redford, MI has these in stock if you cannot find them locally.

AprilGarcia86 January 10th, 2015 8:57 PM

Thank you!

Thank you so much for posting this!! The picture was so helpful!!! Thank you

Originally Posted by tsbrewers (Post 231618)
I just wanted to add to this a little. I just did this with my '06 and wanted to point out the only two "critical" spots are the ones with the x's in the above pic. These are where the bottom of the new lights mount. All the rest of the stuff you cut out is just for clearance, so that isn't critical. Just hope this helps the next guy.

Brew

topdawg45acp January 13th, 2015 12:51 AM

Hey guys since yall are talking headlights , new to site , I have a 88 chevy k1500 and was wondering what I have to do to swap from the quad headlights to the newer 98 style head lights would I have to get a new core support , I know I will have to do wiring .

Brandon Kuziell December 14th, 2017 8:52 AM

Can you reverse this process?

We hit a deer with our 03 with composites. We can't find used parts anywhere, so we were thinking about going sealed beam conversion just to keep our van going . Is this process possible?

tsbrewers December 14th, 2017 5:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Kuziell (Post 349639)
We hit a deer with our 03 with composites. We can't find used parts anywhere, so we were thinking about going sealed beam conversion just to keep our van going . Is this process possible?

It should be possible without any problems, but I wouldn't myself unless you like the look of the sealed beam style front end. The parts new are pretty darn cheap if you go through a company like certifit. I converted mine to the composite style and I think it was only like $150 for everything.

Certifit Online

if you have one around, you can swing by and check out prices. They used to have a catalog with prices, but they don't any more. If I recall, the headlights were about $35 apiece with bulbs, and the whole grill was like $75 +/-

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/moz...r-marker-1.png
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/moz...r-marker-1.png

StanVan December 14th, 2017 7:51 PM

Rock Auto has the composites for an '03 for around $30.00 each.

Artie1 December 15th, 2017 12:33 AM

Headlights cost $60 for a pair - ebay.com/itm/131869592286. Grill is around $160 on eBay or Amazon, all OEM quality stuff.
In addition, the sealed beam lights are much worse in doing their actual job - providing light..