Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Cat exhaust Diameter

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat exhaust Diameter

Ok, I think it's 3 inches outside diameter, but can anyone tell me conclusively and without a doubt what the OD of the exhaust pipe is that feeds the catalytic converter and what size it dumps into. Not the cat pipe size, but the actual exhaust pipes leading into and out of the converter. I have to temporarily bypass what I think is a clogged cat on the driver side in order to get it to the shop. I live 30 miles into the country from the nearest shop and the thing just doesn't have the oomph to get it there. It's a 2003 Express 1500 4.3L
Thanks in advance
Old February 13th, 2014, 9:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think its 3 inch, but you could call a muffler shop to check. I would look at replacing your o2 sensors unless you know for sure your exhaust is clogged.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:33 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by canucklehead
I think its 3 inch, but you could call a muffler shop to check. I would look at replacing your o2 sensors unless you know for sure your exhaust is clogged.
Oh yeah...It's clogged! Big time! The front gets hot but I can rest my hand on the pipe behind it without burning it. Then, there's the radical loss of power, can barely get 30 mph out of it and the gas usage is phenomenal.

Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2014, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

For anyone that needs the information: If you need to bypass the cat in such a situation as described, it uses a 2 1/2" ID pipe. I used flex pipe and in all the cost was about $9.00. This was for the pipe, which I got at O'Reily's Auto Parts (The national chain) and 1 clamp (1 clamp comes with the pipe and you need 2, so get a second one)