Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Chevy not what it used to be.

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2019, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy not what it used to be.

My 2016 Chevy express is driving me crazy. It looks practically new but I have owned it for just about a year and had a major interior leak, the radiator had been leaking slightly probably since right after I got it, got that repaired last Thursday and then Friday driving to work I hear and feel a noise like I'm driving over rumble strips. Makes the noise at about 30 then again at about 50 or 60. I am almost positive that it is a wheel bearing but jacked up the wheels and couldn't feel any play. I do have 100,000 miles on it but my old 2000 seemed to have a lot less problems in the 16 years I owned it. I still really like the van but they just don't seem to make anything to last anymore.
Old March 31st, 2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

GM has slid very far down the slope.
Fun fact: they now make/sell more vehicles in China than in N.America.

Other things that can cause noise/vibration:
- unbalanced wheels
- worn U-joints.
Old March 31st, 2019, 8:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I work for the competition....they all break down. parts for the new stuff is more expensive. $500 for everything nowadays.
Old April 1st, 2019, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

I had a brand new 2018 leak water not from the On-Star antenna but from where the wiper motors sit, firewall area. Some seam sealer didn't make it into a corner and it would leak in on the drivers side foot area. I bought the van in WV and the dealer in PA I had it fixed had a brand new one also leak in the exact same spot.

Despite this I still like the Express vans over the competition because of the motor options, boxed frame, old school look.
Old April 1st, 2019, 9:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by alexk417
I had a brand new 2018 leak water not from the On-Star antenna but from where the wiper motors sit, firewall area. Some seam sealer didn't make it into a corner and it would leak in on the drivers side foot area. I bought the van in WV and the dealer in PA I had it fixed had a brand new one also leak in the exact same spot.

Despite this I still like the Express vans over the competition because of the motor options, boxed frame, old school look.
My interior leak ended up being seam in the sheet metal behind the drivers side back door right below the upper hinge. I fixed it myself but it took a lot of work to figure it out. I am at the mechanic shop right now trying to figure out what is causing my latest problem, might be the universal joints on the drive shaft.
Old April 1st, 2019, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

On the floor pan of my van, they just completely missed the seam with the sealer. They squirted it beside, so it left gaping holes in the seam. I think the worker must have been busy chatting with his neighbour when he did it. The sealing around the rear door area was pretty bad too. You can see how someone took a dab of dried out crumbly sealer on his fingertip and did a quick swipe over the seams. A 10 yo kid probably would have done a better job. I could go on and on.. I have photos to prove it.

I'm on my 4th GM vehicle, and I've seen how with each generation the quality went downhill, and how they keep finding more ways to cut costs. My next vehicle won't be a GM if I can help it.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; April 1st, 2019 at 9:06 PM.
Old April 1st, 2019, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, as I said, the mechanic said it wasn't my wheel bearing but thought it was u joints. They replaced both u joints on the driveshaft and I drove home and nothing had changed. Went back and he drove it on the highway with me and you could feel a little rumble at 30 and then at about 60 it vibrates for a couple of seconds. He said that is tork converer chatter. I just hit 100,000 miles either last Thursday as I was picking my van up from the radiator shop for that to be repaired or Friday morning when I was on the way to work when I noticed the vibration. My mechanic called our local Chevy dealer and was told to go talk to a guy at the service department. I told him that I was right now only 150 miles over and he said he couldn't do anything because he has a obd reader that reads the VIN and mileage so he can't take advantage of the situation either. I called GM and told them my story and have a claim but was told that I won't hear from anyone for a couple of days. I am in the remodeling business and this is going to kill me. I'm not holding my breath but I hope they work with me on this.
Old April 1st, 2019, 4:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Late to the party, but I'd ask if you bought it new. I got my '16 at a year old, w/19k on it. The Carfax was clean, but it had been in a major wreck that went unreported. I've had a few issues that I can link to that
Old April 1st, 2019, 5:00 PM
CF Junior Member

I got it used but in perfect condition and no accidents, it did have 87,000 miles on it when I got it but my 2000 express was at 220,000 when I sold it and the transmission was still working fine.
Old April 1st, 2019, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tread separation? Look for a lump on your tires.