Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2017, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

Hey Chevy van owners!

First time poster, hope to learn a lot about working on my van here.

Im a newbie DIY mechanic but love learning all this stuff. Anyways, the van is a 1991 5.7L 3/4 ton G20 with AC.

I just replaced my water pump and lower rad hose last weekend and now notice that there is a slow drip which is coming down under the front passenger side when parked, and a more steady drip when driving. At first glance it seems to be coming right from the hose connection to the rad, but it doesn't appear to be the hose leaking. Putting my fingers under the hose there, it's all dry. All of the coolant seems to be coming from directly under the rad near the bottom hose, runs along the frame where the rad sits, and drips off. I'm going to drain the coolant and take the rad out to have a look in a couple days but just thought I'd see if anyone has experience with a coolant leak. Where do rads typically fail? Can it be a bad rad if the leak gets worse under pressure? Anything else I should be checking? Water pump is nice and sealed and it's not running down the hose at all. I'll post a pic later when I get home if that helps.
Old May 15th, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Check the hose , make sure it is all the way on the radiditor, AND the the clamp is on the end, secure
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grab ahold of your fan and wiggle it. If it's sloppy loose your water pump is blown. It will leak when the bearings go.