Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Coolant Leak, No Overheating - Possibilites?

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2017, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak, No Overheating - Possibilites?

Greetings:

I have a 1996 Chevy G10. It has a minor coolant leak. The most obvious indicator of the leak was the distinct "sweet" odor. It is not losing coolant at rapid rate, nor has it overheated on me. I have spotted small, bright orange puddles or drips occasionally but am struggling to pinpoint their location. The leaks are not near the radiator, but further back toward the engine block. I crawled under the van and was still unable to pinpoint the location, but it does not appear to be a hose. At least one mechanic suggested it is the intake manifold gasket leaking. However, I thought this would likely cause overheating or very noticeable driveability problems. The van does run a little rough at times, but I am pretty sure it needs a tune-up, so that could easily be the reason. The van does make a hissing noise when I let off the accelerator though.

Can the intake gasket's be leaking without causing the van to overheat? What else might cause a leak without overheating?

Thanks.
Old June 17th, 2017, 7:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Weep hole on the pulley shaft on the water pump? Get in there with a light to see. Could need a new pump. Also could be a frost plug leaking. Check along the sides by the spark plugs. If its coming from the hole by the rear seal, then it could be a frost plug back of the block behind the flywheel......dumb place for one...lol.
What engine do you have?
Old June 17th, 2017, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the fast response. The engine is the 5.0 305"Vortec" engine.
Old June 18th, 2017, 6:03 PM
cj1
CF Junior Member

"At least one mechanic suggested it is the intake manifold gasket leaking."
Gasket can leak to the outside of the block probably what you are smelling.
Old June 18th, 2017, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

my 93 5.7 had a small intake manifold gasket leak. It would pool on the back of the manifold, never leaked enough to get to the ground. Common problem for the 5.7's. Could occasionally smell it
Old June 21st, 2017, 8:50 PM
CF Junior Member

check your intake manifold for puddles. Tighten all your hose clamps and radiator cap.