Coolant Leak, No Overheating - Possibilites? - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Coolant Leak, No Overheating - Possibilites?

CF Beginner

June 17th, 2017, 7:34 PM   #1  
Coolant Leak, No Overheating - Possibilites?

Greetings:

I have a 1996 Chevy G10. It has a minor coolant leak. The most obvious indicator of the leak was the distinct "sweet" odor. It is not losing coolant at rapid rate, nor has it overheated on me. I have spotted small, bright orange puddles or drips occasionally but am struggling to pinpoint their location. The leaks are not near the radiator, but further back toward the engine block. I crawled under the van and was still unable to pinpoint the location, but it does not appear to be a hose. At least one mechanic suggested it is the intake manifold gasket leaking. However, I thought this would likely cause overheating or very noticeable driveability problems. The van does run a little rough at times, but I am pretty sure it needs a tune-up, so that could easily be the reason. The van does make a hissing noise when I let off the accelerator though.

Can the intake gasket's be leaking without causing the van to overheat? What else might cause a leak without overheating?

Thanks.

CF Veteran

June 17th, 2017, 8:12 PM   #2  
Weep hole on the pulley shaft on the water pump? Get in there with a light to see. Could need a new pump. Also could be a frost plug leaking. Check along the sides by the spark plugs. If its coming from the hole by the rear seal, then it could be a frost plug back of the block behind the flywheel......dumb place for one...lol.
What engine do you have?

CF Beginner

June 17th, 2017, 8:29 PM   #3  
Thanks for the fast response. The engine is the 5.0 305"Vortec" engine.

CF Junior Member

June 18th, 2017, 7:03 PM   #4  
"At least one mechanic suggested it is the intake manifold gasket leaking."
Gasket can leak to the outside of the block probably what you are smelling.

CF Pro Member

Marysville, WA

June 18th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #5  
my 93 5.7 had a small intake manifold gasket leak. It would pool on the back of the manifold, never leaked enough to get to the ground. Common problem for the 5.7's. Could occasionally smell it

CF Junior Member

June 21st, 2017, 9:50 PM   #6  
check your intake manifold for puddles. Tighten all your hose clamps and radiator cap.

Search this Thread
Sponsors

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: