Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Crank no start. good spark but, no power to fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2016, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start. good spark but, no power to fuel pump.

I have a 2010 chevy express 2500 with 6.0 engine in it. i am haveing starting issues.

Replaced fuel pump did not solve problem.

I have spark

No check engine light.

No security light on.

checked fueses and relays all are good.

what do i need to do next im stumped?
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found these two paragraphs online.....

Expert: Dan replied 5 years ago.
You should get a service engine soon light on when you turn the key on. If that does not come on, The engine module is not working. The engine module is what powers the relay for the pump.
Start out by checking power to these fuses:
in the under hood fuse box, The ECM B and the ECM 1 fuses
In the inside fuse box, Fuse 18 and 4
Check them with the key on. You can check fuses while they are in the fuse box. There are 2 metal tips on each fuse to touch with a test light or a volt meter.
Make sure there is 12 volts on both sides of the fuses

Read more: No power to fuel pump --fuel relay changed and ecm1 fuse ok

Hi Andrea, You should know that the fuel pump relay will only power the fuel pump for 10 seconds when the key is turned on. If the computer gets info that the motor starts it commands the relay to stay on. When you crank the motor over with the starter the fuel pump runs on a different circuit and will keep the pump running until you let go of the key. So you have to check the B+ at the fuel pump with someone cranking the motor over or else you only have 10 seconds to check it when turning the key on so that the dash warning lights light up. Try cranking the motor over and at the same time have a friend hit the bottom of the gas tank with a 2x4 or baseball bat. This many times will get a stuck/bad fuel pump to run again. If you get it started that way, don't trust it or drive on an expressway. Go straight to a repair shop and get the bad fuel pump replaced.
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

the check engine light does come on with key turned to the on position as normal but no codes come up with scanner nor pending codes come up.

i did check the fueses they were good. the fuel pump was replaced so beating the bottom of the tank would not solve the problem with a brand new fuel pump. when turning the key to the on position and not turning over the fuel pump does not prim. so no power is getting to the fuel pump.
Old January 15th, 2016, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

i have another van sitting right beside it exactly the same can i swap ecu out without any issues to see if that is a problem or do the have to be reprogrammed for each van?
Old January 15th, 2016, 6:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How are you checking the relay? Did you swap with the starter relay? I am not sure with the 2010, but on the 2002 they are the same part number.
Also one of the posts I copied mentioned that the fuel pump runs on different circuits depending on whether you are starting or cranking....
Old January 15th, 2016, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

I checked the relay by swapping with others with same part number no result. i will have to get a circuit tester on it. on the relay what ones should have power and what ones not? if i can figure out where im not getting power i can go from there i guess? also does anyone know if i can swap the engine ecu out with another van without problems?
Old January 15th, 2016, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

found this youtube video may help someone else with relay testing on a GM. I'm going to try and use these test and see what I come up with.

Last edited by mcessna1222; January 15th, 2016 at 9:28 PM.
Old January 17th, 2016, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Had the same exact issue. My problem turned out to be the Ignition Relay just forward of the Fuel Pump Relay. I traced as far as the wires going to the PCM and noticed a voltage spike at Pin19 I think. This then lead me back to the ignition relay. Fuel pump then gave the 2 sec prime. Hope this helps!
Old January 17th, 2016, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

I will check that out tomorrow for sure. Thank you I will let you know what works.

Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat
Had the same exact issue. My problem turned out to be the Ignition Relay just forward of the Fuel Pump Relay. I traced as far as the wires going to the PCM and noticed a voltage spike at Pin19 I think. This then lead me back to the ignition relay. Fuel pump then gave the 2 sec prime. Hope this helps!