Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Custom Engine Swap (for the fun of it)

Old May 29th, 2015, 2:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Custom Engine Swap (for the fun of it)

Hi,

Ok... I am pretty sure I know the answer, but this thread is intended to be theoretical, fun, informing, etc.

I've had a daydream ever since I bought I the first van months ago. I've probably daydreamed of this before, but a friend brought the idea up a few nights ago and I am thinking of it. He has a 93' Ram 3500 with the Cummins diesel in it. He told me people are buying old 70's and 80's trucks and dropping new diesel crate engines into them.

This brings me back to my day dream. What would be the specific road blocks one would encounter if he tried to drop a Caterpillar or Cummins crate engine into a Savana/Express? Either an older one, or a new one like mine? My thoughts are something fuel efficient and reliable as opposed to raw pulling power. A turbo charged inline 6, or 5. Something equatible to the 4.8L and one million miles before major service.

I am guessing:

Transmission incompatibility
- Would this require a custom bellhousing or a specific transmission? No more new 6 speed in my case?

GMLAN / CANBUS Issues
- How would you interface the non-GM crate engine to modern electronics like mine? Drive by Wire? Would it be possible? Speedometer, Odometer, Tachometer, Gauges?

Engine Room
- Would anything fit? There must be crate engines that would fit?

Cost
- Any guess onto the cost of a conversion? $10K? $15K?

Practicality
- Would it be practical, aside from the major headaches and cash outlay. Would be there be benefits to a smaller fuel efficient third party diesel?

EPA
- My friend said... who's going to check? Just theoretical remember.

Thanks.

PS. Colorado is sold, I am going to miss it.
Old May 29th, 2015, 9:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since the duramax is better than those engines why would you bother?
Don't mean to be a downer...lol

If you are going to buy a crate engine, is should be a hi perf gas engine. Imagine a 502 big block, or the big block replacement hi perf 6.2 litre gas. That would be fun.....but expensive fun.
Old May 29th, 2015, 5:07 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, easiest to just buy a van with a low mileage diesel already in it.

Or you can buy 6.5 diesel (Detroit) crate motors that will bolt right in to the 90s and early 2000s vans. There is a company that makes them.. Optimizer, or something like that.
Old May 29th, 2015, 5:13 PM
CF Senior Member

Yes, Optimizer it is... would need the N/A version.

US Engine Production! Manufacture Ford - Cummins - Marine - OPTIMIZER 6500
Old May 29th, 2015, 6:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

......and for the 6500 that optimizer costs.....man what a gas engine you could get.
There is a youtube vid of a savana smoking car after car at the 1/4 mile....lol.
Old May 29th, 2015, 9:30 PM
CF Pro Member

The Duramax is better than both the Cummins and Caterpillar? My specific question was in regards to economy, not pulling power. But I am pleasantly surprised to hear that. Damn, might have to trade the van in again for a diesel.

I didn't realize that the Duramax may actually last a lot longer than the 6.0L. I'd love to set this van up for 20 or 25 years, but fuel by then has to be prohibitive? I was just with my buddy and his 1993 Ram 3500. Just needs a paint job from bush scrapes, other than that it's in great shape. No rust, runs like a champ.

So no suggestions on a economical diesel crate engine and the difficulties to encounter doing a swap? I was hoping this thread would be more fun. An inline five or six is what I had in mind.
Old May 30th, 2015, 12:34 PM
CF Senior Member

I bet an Isuzu 4cyl diesel would sit in there real nice... can't imagine the modifications to do so.
Old May 30th, 2015, 6:55 PM
CF Pro Member

Isuzu 3.9L Diesel Conversion?

It's been done before with that motor in a Silverado and a discussion here for a Safari van. So lets pretend this is the motor going into an Express/Savana like mine. A late model one.

My 2014 is drive by wire as far as I know. Would there be anyway to interface this onto the diesel? Same with the tranny, I have electric shift right? Then there's the gauges... From glancing that thread, it seems physically possible. You could even get a pre 1995 motor which is completely mechanical, rather than electronic/computer controlled.

But how would you interface it? Would you drop my 6 speed transmission for mechanical linkage?

If it was easy I would actually consider it.
Old May 30th, 2015, 7:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dberladyn

That's actually pretty cool. I would get an older G30 van in nice condition.. all mechanical.. put the Isuzu in there.... that would be the cats meow. Those Isuzu 4 cyl are bullet proof and more reliable then the Detroit/Optimizer (The Duramax is actually an Isuzu design

Wouldn't even know where to begin with a modern Express.
Old May 30th, 2015, 8:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Theoretically, couldn't you buy an old Savana for parts and move the mechanical linkages over to a new one like mine? I hate the dash in those, but... what do you do? I suppose you'd have to move the electrical harnesses and dash over too. Or maybe you could somehow just swap the gauge cluster and run new wires....

I like the thought/concept of this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom Engine Swap (for the fun of it)