Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

All this Sound System talk....

Old November 29th, 2018, 3:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile All this Sound System talk....

I added my mid-range speakers today. Hertz Mille Legend 700. They sound EXCELLENT connected to a 150W Amplifier and a Digital Sound Processor.

Old November 29th, 2018, 3:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Right now I go from my factory Head Unit...

.... to this Digital Signal Processor ...

( This allows me to have a separate Amplifier for EACH SPEAKER . Not only that, but using a computer I can adjust each speaker individually for optimum sound quality. )

... to this four channel amplifier ( 150w per Channel / Speaker ) ...

... to my 3" Mid-Range and my 6-1/2" Woofers. Tomorrow I will hook my 1" Tweeters back up, either to the Head Unit itself or to another dedicated Amp. I am undecided. Eventually they will just be dedicated Chime speakers as I plan to upgrade to 1-1/4" Tweeters. I also have 10" Sub-Woofers and 1000w Amps. May as well live a little.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29th, 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 3:48 AM
CF Pro Member

My Door Panel removed. You can see the 6-1/2" orange Component Woofer at the bottom of the door. In the middle of the door you can see two runs of 12 Gauge Speaker Wire. This is Monoprice wire. It has a really thick white jacket which is perfect for routing through sheet metal as it gives the wire extra protection. Using multi-coloured electrical tape I have even gone to the length of colour coding them.

Colour Code (a play on factory colours)
  • Red - Left Mid-Range
  • Blue - Left Woofer
  • Orange - Right Mid-Range
  • Green - Right Woofer
Towards the top of the door, where the the mirror is, you can see that I re-routed the factory speaker wire for the Tweeter. It's just stuck to the sail trim piece with high quality double sided tape. Eventually these will move down to sit just above the Mid-Range as a Chime speaker and I will replace the Tweeters with 1-1/4" higher quality speakers. I am undecided with the Sub-Woofers. I originally wanted them under the seats, but there is just not enough room for an enclosure, nor to unbolt the seats. Then I decided behind each seat eating up Cargo-Space. My last thoughts were to put them in a Center-Console. Time will tell. I do want them though as music sounds so good now I just have to add the 'thump'.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 8:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good. It would be good if you can keep the tweeters at that location, and not lower them. Best if they're pointed at you. The higher frequencies are very directional.
Old November 29th, 2018, 8:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

And I gotta laugh. I looked at the amp, and saw "Nertz".
Old November 29th, 2018, 1:17 PM
CF Pro Member

My Tweeters will definitely work as Chime speakers. When I do that I will drive them straight off the circuit board of a factory radio which has been removed from the radio itself. It's too bad, that second factory radio that I had reprogrammed to my VIN was perfect for this task, but I had the radio itself reprogrammed turning the internal Amps off. Which means it would need an Amplifier; completely complicating simple door chimes. I do not want to, but I suppose I will disassemble my factory radio for this purpose. When I do do this, the 1" Tweeters will move from their current position down to sit just above the Mid-Range speakers. New bigger better Tweeters will go in their current place as you suggest.

Yes, I read Nertz too. At first I had to check online to see if I didn't have Chinese fakes but they are legit. They are the real thing. The one thing I am learning with Car Audio... everything is over-rated, over-hyped and over-priced. You were an installer, I have a question for you. Can you feed two different audio sources into an Amplifier at the same time? Can you feed one Speaker with two different audio sources at the same time? Will there be back feed problems or some other issues? I bought a specially made mixer a few years ago. It is installed on a test board with my DSP and passive cross-overs for testing, but I am starting think it was just a waste of money. How does it accomplish the task? Opto-couplers? I haven't got around to experimenting with it yet. I tried last night but I have to wire a temporary remote lead to turn the system on to try using it. Basically I want my tablet, my phone, my laptop and my Head Unit to output through my Amplifier / Speaker System all at the same time without changing settings. Multiple Bluetooth connecting devices will accomplish this. I just need to manage the individual signals knowing if they can be tied together at once or if they really need a mixing device to handle combining the signals.

I wish I had an Oscilloscope. I am going to buy one.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29th, 2018 at 1:26 PM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 1:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Holy smokes, you could almost weld with those wires
Old November 29th, 2018, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Mixing audio signals:

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-audio-signals
Old November 29th, 2018, 1:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
That answers my question greatly. Thank you.

The Simple solution with audio losses.

A more complicated, higher quality solution.

Another higher quality, more complicated solution.

The idea I suppose is to have several of these installed all feeding the Audio System at the same time.

Last edited by dberladyn; November 29th, 2018 at 1:49 PM.
Old November 29th, 2018, 5:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!, and I cant fix an ingintion noises LOL

Search this Thread