Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Differential question and advice needed

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential question and advice needed

I posted this in the General Tech section also, since I am sure this differential was not unique to the G series van. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice. I did use the search function, but didn't find much information.

1994 G20 Van, 5.7. The differential has started making a noise like a bearing is getting close to failing. It is not a whine, but more of a repetitive "wubba" type noise which is why I think it is a bearing. My problem is I am currently out of state from where I live, and I can't investigate this myself. I have been told by one shop it will be $1100 to replace the rear axle with a used unit, which I am trying to avoid. I have searched the internet for differential specialty shops in Charlottesville VA where I am at, but didn't find any. If anyone could provide any advice about this I would really appreciate it.

Also, I have been told by the mechanic of the same shop of the $1100 replacement that I shouldn't go on the expressway before getting this fixed. I have a feeling it isn't that bad. I know no one can guess how long before this differential would fail, but does anyone have any experience with a time frame for this type of problem?

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2011, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

I just had the same problem with my 1988 G20. Turned out to be the carrier bearing on the drive-shaft. Not very expensive to replace. Your mileage may vary.
Old February 21st, 2011, 3:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can anyone recommend where I can get a view of the components of the axle, preferably from a service manual? I would like to be familiar with it when I take it to a shop, as I can't do the work myself in my location.

Edit: I bid on a service manual set from Ebay, so if I win the bid I guess I will have what I need. Any help is appreciated though, thanks.

Last edited by 94G20; February 21st, 2011 at 3:57 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Well I finally found out today, the "carrier bearings in the differential." $1250. I told the shop not to do it since I think it will make it the 650 miles back to MI from VA okay. Someday when I get the time I will do it myself.