Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

difficulty lining up rotor

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2018, 6:57 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the Brain
so I take a look under the distributer cap and observe 1 nipple is a tad more to left so instead of aiming rotor to the cylinder I aimed for the nipple still no ignition.

crawled under there looking for a timing tab, I did see a line on the harmonic balancer however there is no timing tab for me to lineup the balancer to verify TDC. the timing can't be set w/ a timing light on this 02 vortec so is there or isn't there a timing tab?
The rotor should be pointing to #1 on the cap, not pointing to the cylinder.
The timing tab is on the timing chain cover.
Attached Thumbnails difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-7.51.11-am.png   difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-17-8.57.38-pm.png  
Old March 18th, 2018, 2:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I barely see the hump on timing chain cover I maybe able to see The timing tab on the timing chain cover w/ a mirror can't see much from top or bottom waterpump blocks view.or maybe remove fan however I think a special tool is required.

attempted to remove driver side valve cover. pulled up rear part of EGR however apparently the front of EGR must be removed which means AC compresser must be moved again.

I have preasurized fuel in the rail and the coil produces spark, been very carefull w/ everything especially w/ wires. I must have broken something for this thing to not start.

Last edited by the Brain; March 18th, 2018 at 2:04 PM.
Old March 18th, 2018, 3:33 PM
CF Senior Member

I must have broken something for this thing to not start.
I don't think you have broken anything, but getting the timing is essential. You are going to have to get that #1 cylinder on TDC with the balancer mark and timing cover tab lining up, then don't rotate the engine again until the distributor is installed correctly. Pay attention to the red arrows in the distributor pictures, those are the author's, not mine. In the instructions when your ready to drop the distributor in it says "the sensor plug receptor on the distributor body should be facing roughly to the rear left of the engine", the guy is working on a pickup or something, not a van, so he is standing in front, whereas you are working from the back of the engine. When he says the sensor plug on the side of the distributor should be facing roughly to the rear left of the engine, I'm not sure if he means the driver's side or the passenger side. Maybe try and locate that plug in your wiring harness and trying to determine which side of the engine it's pointing to. Can you tell by looking at the clamping surface of the distributor how it was sitting? OK from the RockAuto distributor picture, that plug is pointing to the rear drivers side of the engine, if you still have the wires connected to the cap, you might be able to lay the cap and wires over the distributor hole and get an idea how the distributor was sitting, it probably won't look exactly like that, rotate it one way or the other to make the wires look normal.
Attached Thumbnails difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-3.30.02-pm.png   difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-3.34.19-pm.png   difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-4.04.23-pm.png  

Last edited by Twscarp; March 18th, 2018 at 3:35 PM.
Old March 18th, 2018, 8:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the mechanics refer to the left side of engine as refer it as the drivers side.

actualley the distb. and cap can only go in one way notice the flat spot on the cap it sits very close to mannie. and yes the cam position sensor is aimed to the rear left.

lining up the balancers mark to the timing cover would be nice much easier than the finger in the spark plug I will try to extend the TCs mark to a place on engine I can actulley see.

looks like I'll be removing the driver/left side valve cover rotate engine untill I see both valve closed this is the power stroke correct?

is a special tool required to remove the clutch fan it mite be easier to remove the waterpump to observe the balancer and the timing cover mark will attemp w/ mirror first.

I have gotten close to ignition but she's suborn. next time I get to TDC w(w/ whatever method) like I have the dist.inserted in dist. hole dist.gear meshed w/ cam gear it will not drop all the way down there's always a 1/8" above the hole so when I turn the engine over either by bumping or rotating since the gears are meshed the sensor inside the distributer like when 8 and 6 (under the rotor cap) are lined up allow the cam pos. sensor a window will this move engine off TDC?

the initial and majority of my failed attempts I didn't pay much (I actualley didn't know about until Kevins video to agline 8 and 6 under the rotor.

Kevins states the two lower holes on dist. shaft should be lined vertically w/ a G on the OEM shaft, I do see the two lower dots however I don't see any kindof mark on the shaft I believe this distributer is a billet aftermarket, so this mite be where I'm messing up.

Thanks for advice
Old March 18th, 2018, 10:51 PM
CF Senior Member

is a special tool required to remove the clutch fan it mite be easier to remove the waterpump to observe the balancer and the timing cover mark will attemp w/ mirror first.
Please don't remove the fan and water pump. Try a mirror, or use your phone camera and reach above and from the side, and take pictures trying to locate the tab. Try and reach up in there with your hand and see if you can feel it. Don't know about a video and the 6 and 8 relationship.
Attached Thumbnails difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-11.47.10-pm.png   difficulty lining up rotor-screen-shot-2018-03-18-10.53.57-pm.png