Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Disable back-up alarm

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2018, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Disable back-up alarm

I would like to disable the full-time backup alarm on my 2015 Chevy Express 3500 and install a switch that will allow me to turn it off when trying to park at a campground at night. Has anyone ever done this; if so, where is the backup alarm located so I can trace it back? Please, no snarky remarks about putting the van in reverse and running back to trace the sound.
Old November 26th, 2018, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

I'll spare you the pain of putting your ear next to a siren
It will be wired to the reverse light.

Old November 26th, 2018, 4:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks Joe!
Old November 26th, 2018, 5:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is factory, you can find in in the schematics on my signature. From there you can decide how to introduce the wiring for a switch.

I actually WANT a back up alarm. Switched of course.
Old November 26th, 2018, 5:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

All I got is snarky answers.
Old January 31st, 2019, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

For anyone else trying to install a kill switch.

Apparently, my backup alarm was part of the aftermarket installation by SafetyVans.com

For the life of me, I could not locate even with all the assistance from the members here and the upfitters manuals. Finally, It was located in the space right above the drivers-side rear tail light making the switch installation easier.

Hope this helps.
Old January 31st, 2019, 6:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My aftermarket on is inside the tail light housing left side. I thought about a defeat switch but never bothered.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 7:07 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

My 3500 had one, but it quit working for no apparent reason. I considered the same, adding a kill switch, but it looked like I might need to run a lead up to the front of the van and back to do it. It was an add-on, maybe the only one it had.
Old February 5th, 2019, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haznavy
I would like to disable the full-time backup alarm on my 2015 Chevy Express 3500 and install a switch that will allow me to turn it off when trying to park at a campground at night. Has anyone ever done this; if so, where is the backup alarm located so I can trace it back? Please, no snarky remarks about putting the van in reverse and running back to trace the sound.
Is yours factory installed as an option? If so it's really easy to unplug and use Cavity Plugs and a spare Delphi Metripack plug to seal both ends up. Obviously this is a more permanent solution to what you're trying to accomplish.

If it's factory installed, it's really easy to crawl under the rear left side of van and locate where the back up alarm sits... without it running of course.

Cavity Plugs Cavity Plugs
Delphi Metri-Pack 280 Delphi Metri-Pack 280
Old February 5th, 2019, 3:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by alexk417
Is yours factory installed as an option? If so it's really easy to unplug and use Cavity Plugs and a spare Delphi Metripack plug to seal both ends up. Obviously this is a more permanent solution to what you're trying to accomplish.

If it's factory installed, it's really easy to crawl under the rear left side of van and locate where the back up alarm sits... without it running of course.

Cavity Plugs
Delphi Metri-Pack 280
Thank you very much for the information but, mine was a SafetyVans.com aftermarket installation and placement in the left tail light upper housing. Once discovered, we were able to install a defeat switch to accomplish the original goal. Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
lunghd (July 2nd, 2020)