Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

does intake manifold have anti freeze flowing though it?

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2018, 9:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default does intake manifold have anti freeze flowing though it?

does intake manifold have anti freeze flowing though it?

my car has steam pipes connected to the cylinder head I think this could be coolant fluid correct? not about these type pipes on the van 02 5.7vortec

like if my van is comsuming antifreeze could a faulty intake manifold gasket cause this? or only a fualty head gasket could cause this?
Thanks TB
Old February 8th, 2018, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The thermostat is in the intake manifold, so yes. Coolant loss could be the intake gasket or a head gasket. If you are not finding coolant on the ground that is....
http://sethirdgen.org/personal/blownintake.jpg
A head gasket could allow compression from the piston into the water jacket and force out the coolant while driving.....
Old February 8th, 2018, 4:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I am losing coolant inside the engine not on ground (driveway).

come to mention it when turning off a warm engine I occasionally smell the burnt antifreeze that could have been before I started dilluting the AF.

during the summer when I had extremely dilluted AF I didn't smell as stronge a smelly AF.

now at full strenght AF I could smell again so hopefulley I can get awawy w/ a intake manifold gasket, which I feel more comfortable w/ than swapping head gaskets.

that image you post is that the GM coolant dexcool mud? I've actualley had a small bit of that on my car I flush clean rad and now it's AF is red again.
if my manie gasket was blown cracked ect.looks like this mud can enter the combustion camber and wet foul my spark plugs creating the missfire. thanks some much for advice allready ordered new gaskets made by Apex from RA head/manie/headers w/ new cylinder head bolts.

the van was running stronge before the missing. if I remember correctely there where 2 cylinders 2/4 both on pass side thats one side/bank of engine.

I proballey should add
thermostat ,gasket maker to parts list, what tempuature should I get 180? I thought the thremostate was located in the block under the alternater?

also did the mud/AF ruin my brand new NGK TR55 splitfire spark plugs?been cruising around like this for a few 200 mile oneway trips basicalley adding coo;ant as needed.
BTW same plug used in car which is actualley

this engine issue being disscovered at home is a blessing in dissguise I'd rather not be 200 miles away from home towing my vessel gotta get this van up 100%

Last edited by the Brain; February 8th, 2018 at 5:09 AM.