Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Double DIN Install Kits for 96-07 Express

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2018, 11:21 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LCAC_Man
from the pictures I've seen of the 01-02 bezel it should be fine, they have the larger opening similar to the 03 and up.
What I did find on my 06 dash structure was that there was a large cast protrusion into the stereo opening that would limit depth, I cut that out and actually opened up the hole in the back of that space to allow easier wire routing/connections. I'm also going to work on a support for the back of the unit (probably today) so I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about.
The 2000 dash structure was wide open inside, the only limiting factor is the bezel.

And yes, StanVan is correct...bezel removal (with the steering column in place) is a PITA!
Is what I read someplace, I will need to cut the back to have room. TIA for the picture!
Old October 14th, 2018, 3:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is why fitment charts say the deeper units won't fit. But cutting is easy, and doesn't affect structure. Newer vans (like mine) have been changed, but unfortunately, some charts don't reflect this change. Crutchfield said the unit I wanted wouldn't fit, but Pioneer said it would. I bought it, prepared to cut, but didn't need to.
Old October 14th, 2018, 6:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the cut out and the support I made:
Old October 14th, 2018, 8:54 PM
CF Active Member

Nice!
Old October 24th, 2018, 6:41 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice install.. but that part that you bolted to for me
had to come out.. my deck was much bigger than yours..
looks like you didnt have as big of issues that I had....
Old October 24th, 2018, 8:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes, the Pioneer head unit I installed doesn't have a disc drive in it so it's considerably shallower/lighter than most double DIN models

Last edited by LCAC_Man; October 25th, 2018 at 6:41 AM.
Old October 24th, 2018, 9:32 PM
CF Active Member

from the pictures I've seen of the 01-02 bezel it should be fine, they have the larger opening similar to the 03 and up.
What I did find on my 06 dash structure was that there was a large cast protrusion into the stereo opening that would limit depth, I cut that out and actually opened up the hole in the back of that space to allow easier wire routing/connections. I'm also going to work on a support for the back of the unit (probably today) so I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about.
The 2000 dash structure was wide open inside, the only limiting factor is the bezel.

And yes, StanVan is correct...bezel removal (with the steering column in place) is a PITA!

Jensen VX7021 went in with no cutting, no adaptations, like a breeze. The only thing is that GPS antenna had to be placed on the dash, otherwise it wont catch any satellites.

Old October 24th, 2018, 9:33 PM
CF Active Member

Unhappy

Just to follow up, the scoshe GM1590DDB works well with the 03-07 dash bezel. It doesn't work with the 96-00 bezel at all, I don't have an 01-02 bezel to test fit.
I need this steering wheel.
Old October 25th, 2018, 7:09 AM
CF Junior Member

got my dash harness work complete and all taped back up...you can see the ASW1 Steering wheel module sticking out the back of the much enlarged hole behind the head unit..
Old October 26th, 2018, 2:34 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

THE GPS antenna for me.. I have Sirrus as well. and the antenna is shared ... silly me.. thinking it would be better to place that antenna under the headliner
closest to the top was wrong move... it does not go threw the metal all that well.. ( learning lesson ) which I have not fixed yet.. the wife is on me about it
here I pay for Sirrus in the caddy and the van and I caint use it in the van cause I have not made time to pull it out and put it on my dash... lol so cootos to you
for not doing what I did...
I changed my steering wheel.. but its not easy task for me I replaced the internal guts of my steering column to have the Denali Steering wheel .... but I did it
and it looks awsome... good luck in your endevors....and keep posting pics cause thats what inspires others...