Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

EGR Bleed Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2015, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR Bleed Solenoid

In order to try to make a useful post I started a new thread.

I have been working on my 83 G20 Van (Stock 305 and 700r4) for a while now and to catch anyone up.... I'm basically at the end of an engine rebuild. The original engine blew a head gasket when it over heated from a locked smog pump (through the belt). Prior to the rebuild I had (according to the book (15-18)) really bad gas mileage as well. I was getting 11MTG.

So, here I am at the end of the rebuild, Engine purs and cranks way better than before. In my attempt to make sure I have everything in working order, I broke one of the vacuum ports off the EGR bleed solenoid. uggggghhhh.

With that all said...

1) I have been working to find out what it actually does and I have read numerous versions.

2) I'm also trying to find out if it actually effects the lock-up solenoid, or does it act as a switch, that when the lock-up is applied that it adds vacuum to the EGR circuit.

3) It may have not been working before, I applied 12v to it last night and it didn't click and I believe its an elctro magnet that work the valve.

I made a diagram of the vacuum and wiring circuit to see if anyone knows the real answer.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails EGR Bleed Solenoid-83-chevy-bleed-solenoid.jpg  
Old June 16th, 2015, 9:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How an EGR Vacuum Solenoid Works | eHow
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

I believe I understand that, but does it matter if I go get a new one from say a Toyota and put it on? Are they engineered differently for intended application?
Old June 16th, 2015, 6:24 PM
CF Veteran

can you not just get a new one for your van? One for a chev gmc pickup with the same engine should work too.

Buy Egr Valve Parts for g10-van CHEVROLET G20 vehicle - Discountautoparts.com | www.discountautoparts.com/
Old June 16th, 2015, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

The parts been discontinued and no replacement by application. All the junkyard ones (2 that i have found) are browken. The other 11 cars or trucks had the intakes or motors already removed and the part missing. Im just looking for a suitable replacetment and having to dig a little deeper. I may try an newer style and see where it gets me. I just dont know what HG of vacuum the old one is set at. The TCV itself is 8-10 lbs.

Im really not sure what that selinod does, weather it has an effect on the lock up itself or supplies additional vacuum to the egr when the lock up is applied. No one really seems to know.
Old June 16th, 2015, 7:51 PM
CF Veteran

Does the dealer parts department have a cross index of what part is similar say from another vehicle?
Old June 16th, 2015, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

I've seen where others have tried, but havent done it myself. I think i will tomorrow though. Maybe they can tell me at what vacuum pressure it operates at atleast.
Old June 17th, 2015, 9:02 AM
CF Beginner

I called the dealer this morning and he did find a crossmatch that they can still get. Part Number 14102002. When i did a web seatch it, crossed over to ACDELCO 214-329.

Thats what im going with.
Old June 17th, 2015, 9:37 AM
CF Veteran

Sweet. Easier to fix stock than customize.....
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, im not sure it is stock "stock" but in theroy its a suitable replacement that they still make and it cross references. Ill have to figure out a way to mount the bracket which should be fairly easy.

Its basically the EGR vacuum solenoid off an 85-96 fuel enjection motor.

Thanks for the help!

On another good note, I put my dash back in last night!!
Attached Thumbnails EGR Bleed Solenoid-20150616_202019.jpg  

Quick Reply: EGR Bleed Solenoid