Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

The ELM/Torque thread

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2018, 7:03 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Elm 327

So I went back out to my Van earlier.... might as well start it and run it since its
very cold out there .
I booted up the laptop and ran the program to see what version it
is.. I thought I ran it before.. and I did and it does not Support the 2.1 that
their web page says it is....
It does not go past the 1.4b lol
here is their web page.

ELM327 USB V2.1 OBDII OBD2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool
Old January 5th, 2018, 9:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I got mine this evening, but I'm still not moving well, so I haven't tried it yet. But here's a pic;
Attached Thumbnails The ELM/Torque thread-img_20180105_175607385.jpg  
Old January 6th, 2018, 4:14 PM
CF Veteran

Aaaand it's a 1.5. Not a big surprise, but it does work(whereas I broke my last one) and it is a mini, and it does have a power switch. That, and it was cheap.
Old January 11th, 2018, 7:02 PM
CF Pro Member

I received a reply back from the company in which I bought
my ELM327 from ...
this is what the email says... I will copy and paste it here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know about that app which most customers rely on to "check". Unfortunately it's useless, as it's template is from 2011. Since then ELM327's have been custom made and data is showing as outdated on that app.

Also we can't use 2.1 due to trademark, so we use 1.5, even though uses 2.1 firmware code.
Old January 11th, 2018, 8:06 PM
CF Veteran

So, when you first open Torque, the splash page is an accelerometer until it connects to the ELM. Around that meter are buttons, and one of them is "Adapter Status". Hit that, and in there is the firmware version of the ELM adapter. You don't have to use that identifier app. Sent them that screen shot. And BTW, no one can trade mark "2.1"

How much did you pay for it? If it's not much, just let it go. Leave a bad review. And repeat the mantra. "Puppies and Kittens". It ain't worth raisin' yer blood pressure.
Old January 11th, 2018, 8:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammuir1
Yes, I know about that app which most customers rely on to "check". Unfortunately it's useless, as it's template is from 2011. Since then ELM327's have been custom made and data is showing as outdated on that app.

Also we can't use 2.1 due to trademark, so we use 1.5, even though uses 2.1 firmware code.
A total bunch of BS, the app is regularly updated, most recent August 13, 2017. Why didn't he tell you the correct app to use? They don't have any firmware code that's proprietary property, why would ELM Canada give it to them, all a bunch of hocus-pocus BS scam, it shows a v1.5 because that's what it is. It will probably work fine for you, but it's nothing more than a v1.5 Chinese clone. I wish there was a way we could more definitively prove this..
Attached Thumbnails The ELM/Torque thread-screen-shot-2018-01-11-8.41.47-pm.png  
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:04 PM
CF Pro Member

For me I am NOT upset... I mearly wanted to share with everyone what they said back to me.
the price of my second ELM327 was 35.00

I have not replied back to their responce.. not sure if I will ... but I did want to share with you all.
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me I am NOT upset... I mearly wanted to share with everyone what they said back to me.
the price of my second ELM327 was 35.00

I have not replied back to their responce.. not sure if I will ... but I did want to share with you all.
Thank you for showing their response. I'm not upset or mad at you either, just ticked that that person can just lie to us with a straight face, in my opinion.
Old January 12th, 2018, 7:47 AM
CF Veteran

For me I am NOT upset....
Was it the mantra?
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:58 PM
CF Active Member

Just to bring this up again , is there a list of what the ELM will detect on a 2005 Savana ?

i would love to know Transmission oli temp , engine oil temp , RPM and others but not sure if the sensors are even in a 2005 !

My friend has an Ebay ELM clone that came with a car he bought that I can play with ,

What other info do you find helpful that you can get from the ELM ?

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: The ELM/Torque thread