Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Engine Reduced Power & Check Stabilitrack 5.3

Old March 19th, 2016, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Reduced Power & Check Stabilitrack 5.3

2011 Chevy Express AWD 5.3 77,000 miles
I know this has been discussed prior but today I was traveling along at 75 mph and all of a sudden the van starts to surge and no power. Engine reduced power and check stabilitrack lights came on.
I got off to the shoulder quickly as to not get run over by a guy on my tail due to me slowing down. The van was running very rough and didn't want to move.
I shut it down and restarted. When I shifted into drive it made a nasty clunking noise and still no forward movement.
I again shut it down and called my roadside assistance. After about 20 minutes or so I restarted and shifted and all sounded good and the van now had power again. The engine light was still on so I got back under way and made it 69 more mile home with no issues.
After investigating some I see this is a problem for a lot of folks and one post reminded me that a letter was sent some time ago from GM in regards to this "engine reduced power"
The letter says it a faulty throttle position sensor and if your vehicle has these conditions the part will be replaced free of charge.
Old March 25th, 2016, 6:42 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
I took the van and the letter to the dealer. The service guy said no problem but a specific code needs to show up (I don't recall the number) otherwise you will be hit for 100 dollars for a diagnostic fee.

The service guy did check for codes and said he didn't see the specific code on his reader although he did see some type of codes were in there but could not read them. Lucky for me the technician could read the specific code for the throttle selection sensor so a new one was installed for free.
Its seems like the technician is able to see more codes somehow over the hand held readers.

Buy the way the guys at Ed Rinke Chevrolet in Centerline MI took care of me well in every aspect. I spoke with four different guys and they were all fantastic. Hats off to them.
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear it was fixed and thanks for the update.
I have mentioned before that the shop units are more thorough than the hand held units.....

Search this Thread