Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express 3500 Check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Express 3500 Check engine light?

Hey all, I have an Express 3500 15 passenger extended van. It seem to run great during normal driving. If I go up a steep incline or put to much load on then engine, the light come on and flashes until I let off the gas and decrease the load. It does seem to lose power slightly just before and while the light is on. I took it to the dealer and they said that when they hooked it up to read codes, it passed. Whatever that means. They said to try doing a top engine clean(which we did) and it didn't help. I really don't want to keep paying the dealer to guess at what might be wrong. I have replaced the fuel filter and the air filter and plan on checking the plugs and wires.

Any ideas? The light does not stay on, and usually I can't duplicate the problem unless I get on the freeway and go up the mountains out of the valley.

Thanks for any insight. I am just not rich enough to let the dealer keep guessing. I do have the extended GM warrenty that will cover it completely for a couple more years.

Old May 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Express 3500 Check engine light?

if its covered under the warrenty and they arnt going to charge u then i would let them do the work till the warrenty is up.
Old May 12th, 2006, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

sorry, I stated that a little wrong....I have the warranty, but there is a $200 deductible every time. It will cover everything except wear and tear after the deductible. I have almost 72000 miles on it. It is a 2002.

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2006, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

daycaremom -

I also have a 2002 Chevy Express 3500 15 passenger van. It is Indigo Blue! I bought it in 2002, and I only put about 5000 miles a year on it. I have had this problem twice, first time in 2004 at 10000 miles, the second time was this weekend, at 20000 miles, which led me to search for other owners like yourself who experienced this problem.

Here is your answer: you have an engine mis-fire condition due to a damaged distributor rotor/cap, which was damaged due to a plugged vent screen in the distributor. My GM dealer fixed this problem the first time by replacing the cap and rotor, but he did not perform the technical service bulletins (TSB) to remove the vent screen, so the problem has occurred again.

The TSB is as follows:

https://chevroletforum.com/recalls-a...604041/TSB.htm

Here is the text: Document ID# 1589507

Poor Engine Performance-Misfire, Rough Idle, Stalls, Engine Cranks but Does Not Run, SES/Check Engine Light On, DTC P0300 Set (Inspect Distributor Ignition(DI) System Components, Replace as Necessary) #03-06-04-041A - (Jan 28, 2005)
Poor Engine Performance - Misfire, Rough Idle, Stalls, Engine Cranks but Does Not Run, Service Engine Soon/Check Engine Light Illuminated, DTC P0300 Set (Inspect Distributor Ignition (DI) System Components and Replace As Necessary)
2001-2003 Chevrolet Astro, Blazer, Express, S-10

2001-2003 GMC Jimmy, Safari, Savana, Sonoma

2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

with 4.3L, 5.0L or 5.7L Gas Engine (VINs W, X, M, R -- RPOs L35, LU3, L30, L31)

This bulletin is being revised to delete a model and add information to subject and inspection of distributor vent screens. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-041 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition
Some customers may comment on poor engine performance and the Service Engine Soon/Check Engine light being illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0300 set.

Cause
This condition may be due to high levels of internal corrosion in the distributor, causing misfire, rough idle, stall and Engine Cranks But Does Not Run. This corrosion is attributed to a lack of airflow internal to the cap caused by the vent screens being clogged with debris.

Correction
Remove the vent screens and inspect the internal components of the Distributor Ignition System using the procedure listed below. If the distributor base has to be replaced, the vent screens will also have to be removed on the new distributor. If there is evidence of this internal corrosion, replace the affected component. Refer to the appropriate procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the applicable Service Manual.

Important: All of these inspections can be done on-vehicle.

1. Inspect the distributor cap. You may notice a white residue on the cap walls. For higher mileage occurrences, the interior of the cap may have changed to medium brown in color
2. Inspect the distributor rotor. You may notice the presence of black streaks on the plastic surface. More typical evidence would be visible green spots on the copper surface of the rotor segment.
3. Inspect the distributor base. You may notice high levels of surface rust on the distributor shaft or surface contamination on the sensor hold down screws.

4. Inspect the distributor vent screens (1). If the vent screens are present, remove them by using a plastic-handled, long blade awl or pick (2). Insert into the airflow vent screens and pop them out. Refer to the figure for removal procedure. If the vent screens have been removed from the base of the distributor, then check the airflow inlets for being clogged with debris.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Cap, Distributor (V6)

Rotor, Distributor (V6 and V8)

Distributor (V6)

Cap, Distributor (V8)

Distributor (V8)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J4360
Cap, Distributor - Replace
Use published labor operation time

J4380
Rotor, Distributor - Replace

J4530
Distributor Assembly - Replace

Add
To remove Distributor vent screens
0.1 hr
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1589507

I find it's easier to tell the dealer what to do, rather than to leave it up to them! They don't always have the answers (what a shock, eh?)

Good luck!

Old May 15th, 2006, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the reply. I will have my hubby look at the distributor/rotor cap. I am not sure where to look, but I am sure he is. Hopefully that will take care of it. I have been told that it is either a misfire or an emission problem when the light flashes for a short time. The van has almost 72,000 miles and it was origionally in California, now in Oregon. I was also told that the light might be coming on because of the difference in California gas vs/ oregon gas. I don't really notice a great difference when the light is on, but I suppose at this mileage, it is time to check the plugs, cables and rotor anyhow.

Thanks again
Old May 16th, 2006, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

My mechanic gave me the little (1/4 inch diameter) screens in the distributor that he removed in accordance with the TSB. They were puny, and I could see how they could be easily clogged. He told me when they are clogged, the distributor is unable to rid itself of moisture that accumulates in the distributor in damp conditions (say, do you have that problem in Oregon? ) and the moisture is what causes the failure of the distributor rotor and cap. Removing the screens allows the moisture to weep out.

So if hubby finds the distributor is the problem, be sure he or the mechanic take out those screens, or it could happen again almost immediately.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:51 PM
CF Junior Member

A word of advice:
Warranty may be canceled if they find out that some of the repairs are made by people that are not authorized shop or not a dealer service department.
$200 is far less than voided warranty + actual repairs.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2001 Chevy Express Custom van / missfire

I have 2001 Chevy express custom van V8, every time it rains, it starts rough , like missfiring, I actually have to press on gas pedal as I start the engine, and sometimes it wont start at all & once I miss the floor the gas and crank the engine & if the engine doesn't start, forget it , it wont start for a long time, almost 4 to 8 hours before I try to start again. It only happens when it rains or like you said when theres a lot of humidity.
This could be the same problem with the distributor cap???
Thank You John.

Originally Posted by IndigoBlue
My mechanic gave me the little (1/4 inch diameter) screens in the distributor that he removed in accordance with the TSB. They were puny, and I could see how they could be easily clogged. He told me when they are clogged, the distributor is unable to rid itself of moisture that accumulates in the distributor in damp conditions (say, do you have that problem in Oregon? ) and the moisture is what causes the failure of the distributor rotor and cap. Removing the screens allows the moisture to weep out.

So if hubby finds the distributor is the problem, be sure he or the mechanic take out those screens, or it could happen again almost immediately.