Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Express won's start, stalls, sputters, and dies

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Express won's start, stalls, sputters, and dies

Hi,

I have a 2000 Express which has had some problems since I purchased it used at 110K miles. I wanted to create a searchable thread as reference so that others with the same problem might be able to find this and use it to help troubleshoot their problem. I am in no way a mechanic, but just thought that it would be good to contribute to the resources available when trying to diagnose their vans.

I also came accross this website that has a lot of Step-by-Step How-To's to troubleshoot your vehicle. I havent had time to try all of these methods out.

Part 1 -GM Main Index of Articles.

Good Luck!

Problem:
1. About twice a month the van wiill start, but immediately dies unless I give it gas.

Results:
A few days after changing the fuel pump/distributor, the same problem happened once. It's been about 2 months and the problem has not occured again. To also note, the fuel pump had a high pitch whine, before chaning it out for a new pump.

Problem:
2. Sometimes the van will not even turn over when trying to start it. This has happened about 3-4 times in the past 6 months. I usually just give it some time, then come back later in the day and it will start.

Results:
I tried changing the battery, but it still would not turn over at all. I took it to the shop and they replaced the fuel pump/distributor and it started up. But I'm assuming that this is still a entirely different issue than the fuel pump/distributor.

Problem:
3. The van will sometimes stutter when you drive it. It's very noticeable on the freeway. When I maintain a constant speed the car will sort of hiccup or sputter every few seconds as I drive. I will floor the car and it doesnt seem to make the vehicle stutter more, so I'm assuming that it's not the transmission.

Results:
I checked the MAF and cleaned it with MAF cleaner even though it looked spotless. I also checked the EGR and Intake Manifold for being clogged, but it was all good. I checked the air filter and it was clean. I changed the fuel filter, but still the problem persists.

Search Keywords: start dies dead stalls stall sputter hiccup hicup hiccups hicups sputters sputter hesitates 2500 1500 3500 express cargo van savana savanna

Last edited by pharcydeabc; February 3rd, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old July 6th, 2013, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Welcome to the club--Did you ever figure this one out?
I have similar stall problems with my 96 1500 5.7L Vortec van. Does anyone have an answer to this great mystery of automotive engineering?
It stalls while driving after an hour or two in warm weather. Won't restart until it cools down for 1 to 3 hours usually. Engine temp gauge rises to 1/2 point and fluctuates but never higher-even stalls at 160 deg -norm op temp. Fuel pump always hums during prime and after start attempt (for 2 seconds) Mech. verified pump works fine--
Always restarts after cool down - 1/2 hour to 4hrs. Oil pressure sensor checked -OK. New fuel filter installed-no difference. . .

Anyone?

Last edited by BoxcarNY; July 22nd, 2013 at 9:18 PM.
Old October 16th, 2020, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BoxcarNY
Welcome to the club--Did you ever figure this one out?
I have similar stall problems with my 96 1500 5.7L Vortec van. Does anyone have an answer to this great mystery of automotive engineering?
It stalls while driving after an hour or two in warm weather. Won't restart until it cools down for 1 to 3 hours usually. Engine temp gauge rises to 1/2 point and fluctuates but never higher-even stalls at 160 deg -norm op temp. Fuel pump always hums during prime and after start attempt (for 2 seconds) Mech. verified pump works fine--
Always restarts after cool down - 1/2 hour to 4hrs. Oil pressure sensor checked -OK. New fuel filter installed-no difference. . .

Anyone?
did you ever figure out the problem cause I'm having the problems with my 2000 Chevy express 5.7 liter 3500
Old October 16th, 2020, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

Have you done any troubleshooting? Fuel pump tested?
Old October 16th, 2020, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Have you done any troubleshooting? Fuel pump tested?
Yes The fuel pump works just fine it's just when it reaches 160 to 200゚ the engine starts to shake and die Then I have to let it cool down before it can starts again
Old April 10th, 2021, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1998 1500 high rise conversion van. With the 5.7 is doing same thing had it in garage for months nothing does your gas hand and security light come on cause mine does. But the sputtering just started so I put heet in the gas tank and the sputtering has stopped. Dont no if its that or where I opened the gas tank when it was sputtering. But the security light come on today when I opened the passenger door where the lock is messed up. I was wondering if that might be it I'm going to get me a new lock and try it .
Old April 20th, 2021, 4:11 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

One of mine wouldn't start when hot and the temp sensor was bad. I found it with a scan tool with live data, it was 80-ish out and the sensor reading was like -68'. Worth a check, cheap and not hard to change.
Old November 4th, 2021, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fix for the stalling and sputtering.

Change your throttle positioning sensor. It’s not very expensive, 20-40$ depending on where you buy it. It’s two small screws and a plug, it’s located on the side of your throttle body.
Old December 21st, 2023, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 02 and it will not stay running did a full tune up new fuel pump and new fuel filter and it still will not stay running give it gas and it shuts off and it's not throwing any codes
Old January 4th, 2024, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2000 gmc 4.3 v6 sierra

Hey guys new and needs some help, I have a single cab 2000 gmc 4.3L v6 sl and I've changed the fuel filter/pump/fuel injectors/the box next to the tank.. the issue I'm having is when it rains or wet out side my truck sputters when I accelerate but when it's dry outside I have no issues.. any one have a idea on what it might be?

Quick Reply: Express won's start, stalls, sputters, and dies